I have a few questions about Hakunas eating habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuJohn321

So every since i got hakuna he would only eat twice a day. He was born roughly feb. 6th. Once in the morning and once in afternoon then at most four five crickets a few hours before bed. Usually poops every morning thirty minutes or so after the lights go on (on a timer). Now when he feeds i realize that he'll get what he thinks is in there but will take more if i hand feed him. When hes done he'll close his eye at the cricket that im holding to him, then look at me like no more. Or if the cricket gets too close he will kinda like "twitch" i feel as if they either tickle or that's a aggravated twitch. Either way i stop get all crickets out. Now i have a hard time doing this all the time due to me working at 7-4 sometimes later sometimes earlier. On the weekends i feed him by hand since im off. During the week my girlfriend will feed him but just put crickets in. I clean the tank everyday when i get off and try to feed him he won't take any from me as if hes not hungry. Other days he'll eat one or two. Grandparents look in on Hakuna while we're both working at said he was loving and eating his greens. Now ive never seen him do this myself.
Ive read that they usually eat until they feel full like us, he is very healthy from what everyone says. But they also say he should be eating three times a day and not twice but he doesn't think so. Also got hornworms for him. Didnt know they'd grow so super fast, but he even wont eat the small ones. Only other worm hes eaten was mealworm and i was told a big no no and believed it because his poop was runny after. Looks at it interested but doesnt eat it but then will eat a cricket any ideas?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he's just getting full and losing interest. That is the right time to stop feeding and remove leftover bugs as you've been doing. The amount he eats will fluctuate depending on his mood so it's best to just offer a couple of times a day and let him take what he wants. Be careful to offer just a few at a time so they are easy to track so none of them are left (hiding) in the tank after mealtime.

NuJohn321

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3h8x65x3 said:
It sounds like he's just getting full and losing interest. That is the right time to stop feeding and remove leftover bugs as you've been doing. The amount he eats will fluctuate depending on his mood so it's best to just offer a couple of times a day and let him take what he wants. Be careful to offer just a few at a time so they are easy to track so none of them are left (hiding) in the tank after mealtime.
Figured as much but thought id make sure! Thank you!
Edit: i went and got the right long tube t5 10 ubv for the tabk since i switched hin into that earlier this week. Will see if this changes anything knew hed need it anyway just didnt get here until the end of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom