I don't want to starve my baby but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kates

Spencer":32cjhzgp said:
Kates":32cjhzgp said:
I thought beardies (at least babies) need crickets because of their high protein content.
I'm not sure about wax worms but I know meal worms are meant to be given as treats because of their high fat content.

I'm fine with feeding crickets. I just hate how they hide and my beardie can't find him. I really need a feeder tank. :p

Eh Silkies and phoenix worms are great staples. Umm...I believe you have them backwards. I'm pretty sure wax worms have high fat and you should never feed mealworms to a bearded dragon ever especially a baby.

All I know is to feed my baby unlimited crickets for 15 minutes 3 times a day and put in some mustard greens with a tiny bit of basil to interest him.

God help those who are brave enough to feed their beardies roaches. I cringe at the thought of touching them.

What are meal worms and what eats them?

YuriTBD":klcm7e2r said:
why deny your bearded dragon something they love? crickets are very healthy they eat anything and you can gut load them with fruits and veggies. Eventually yeah your beardie will eat, though i knew a guy whos lizard went on a stubborn streak and he had to tube feed him because his lizard wanted only wax worms and he couldn't get him to eat anything else. as long as you feed variety of worms and they are getting their protein and veggies in, i don't see a problem. but if your lizard likes crickets you shouldn't starve it because you don't like them. they have taste buds too. eventually your dragon will eat, but try these methods first.

1. Trickery, get your dragon riled up dangling a cricket and give them one, then grab a worm and wiggle it around, it might take a few tries but your dragon might get fooled and eat it, sometimes they just don't know what your feeding them is food and once they taste it they are like yo thats good man!

2. get you some freeze dried crickets put your worms in your dragons dish freeze dried don't wiggle or jump and are less intimidating if your scared of them. and put them into your worms. the smell of the cricket can draw it's attention and it might eat them that way. ( i pur freeze dried crickets in my beardies salad, he loves it just don't feed solo unless giving as a treat because they have no water content freeze dried.

3. if that don't work then just give your baby what it wants. they love crickets i've yet to see a beardie who didn't. it's part of their natural diet in the wild and is probably the most common for them.

I agree. Dont starve it.

Kates

Spencer":1d7hlk5x said:
Kates":1d7hlk5x said:
I thought beardies (at least babies) need crickets because of their high protein content.
I'm not sure about wax worms but I know meal worms are meant to be given as treats because of their high fat content.

I'm fine with feeding crickets. I just hate how they hide and my beardie can't find him. I really need a feeder tank. :p

Eh Silkies and phoenix worms are great staples. Umm...I believe you have them backwards. I'm pretty sure wax worms have high fat and you should never feed mealworms to a bearded dragon ever especially a baby.

According to (http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html), mealworms can be fed to beardies rarely.
Phoenix and Silk worms are meant to be fed to beardies on a daily bases.
Wax worms and superworms are meant to be fed occasionally.
This (viewtopic.php?p=804166) says to never feed baby beardies mealworms because they can cause impaction.

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
miloandrufusdragons":2a2zy846 said:
YuriTBD":2a2zy846 said:
why deny your bearded dragon something they love? crickets are very healthy they eat anything and you can gut load them with fruits and veggies. Eventually yeah your beardie will eat, though i knew a guy whos lizard went on a stubborn streak and he had to tube feed him because his lizard wanted only wax worms and he couldn't get him to eat anything else. as long as you feed variety of worms and they are getting their protein and veggies in, i don't see a problem. but if your lizard likes crickets you shouldn't starve it because you don't like them. they have taste buds too. eventually your dragon will eat, but try these methods first.

1. Trickery, get your dragon riled up dangling a cricket and give them one, then grab a worm and wiggle it around, it might take a few tries but your dragon might get fooled and eat it, sometimes they just don't know what your feeding them is food and once they taste it they are like yo thats good man!

2. get you some freeze dried crickets put your worms in your dragons dish freeze dried don't wiggle or jump and are less intimidating if your scared of them. and put them into your worms. the smell of the cricket can draw it's attention and it might eat them that way. ( i pur freeze dried crickets in my beardies salad, he loves it just don't feed solo unless giving as a treat because they have no water content freeze dried.

3. if that don't work then just give your baby what it wants. they love crickets i've yet to see a beardie who didn't. it's part of their natural diet in the wild and is probably the most common for them.

I agree. Dont starve it.

LOL ur a little late in the conversation. I already said she was eating fine :)

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
Spencer":a9082isq said:
Kates":a9082isq said:

Yes Spencer, you are right. Its the wax worms that should only be a treat and the others are great staples. Mealies are absolute no-no's for babies because of the risk of impaction. (high chitin content)

As for the original topic, one should never starve a bearded dragon adult, never mind a baby, to try and force it to eat something else. You wouldn't starve a human baby because it won't eat its greens. :p. Baby beardies need mucho bugs to grow strong and healthy, with lots of (measured) calcium to keep dem bones happy and healthy, starving a baby at such an important stage in her life would be detrimental to her health right through to when she dies.

All animals need a good start in life to make them strong and healthy and well.

Good job she's eating for you now though! Good luck for the future! :)

Spencer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so she totally doesnt like Phoenix worms BUT I got my bug pack in the mail and it also had itty bitty hornworms so I stuck one in front of her. she looked at me like what the heck mom this doesnt look like a cricket then ate it. Shes now addicted i tell you! Between a cricket and a hornworm now she only wants the hornworms! she keeps staring down the cup I have them in! Are little hornworms an okay staple?

This is about the size of the worms so they aren't too big.
a5ab837e.jpg

YuriTBD":3vqhy24k said:

These methods sound great Spartacus is growing fast and Aside from him gobbling dubias I want to get him accustomed to eating worms every now and then thanks !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom