I don't know what im doing wrong! please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently took in a beardie from a family member we've had her for around 3 weeks and it doesn't seem like im doing anything right. At first they told me she was going through burmation so i've read up on it, she does show the symptoms by eating every few days always sleeping but I'm not sure if it is really burmation. If i place her somewhere she will literally stay in that spot, she won't move at all. Sometimes i have to put her myself on her basking area just so she can get some light. I had a CHE in the tank but now since its colder in my house (a piece to our boiler broke) it wasn't doing any good for day time with my 75 watt so i decided to put in a 100 watt. My problem is she hasn't eaten since last week. and she has to be hand fed, it's like the superworms are too fast for her so she can't chase them. I just ordered a 500 ct of reptiworms hoping she will like them better. she also doesn't eat veggies. I'm experimenting with her i bought carrots, dandeolion leaves, some squash, and red cabbage and with some baby food she did eat 2 pieces of the dandeolion. Another thing she does is when she doesn't want any food she kinda nods her head and turns it like she is saying no. i just need someone to tell me this is normal or if im doing something wrong so i can fix it. I filled out the care sheet hoping this will help.

How old is your dragon? around 1 year and a half
How long have you had your dragon? 3 weeks
How long is your dragon? not sure
What is the sex of your dragon? female
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? exoterra 36x18x12
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? she had sand but i removed and put newspaper until we go to home depot this weekend to get tile
Do you use UVB lights? yes she had a reptiglow but i changed to a 10.0 reptisun
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? fluorescent tube, and its the repti sun 10.0 18 inches
How old is your UVB bulb? just came in 2 days ago
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? not too close, i ordered a new branch so she can be a lot higher because i know she needs to be 6-8 inches
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? yes, white and its a 100watt
What are the basking temps? 100.00 but where her uvb is its around 90ish i'm trying to replace the screen since so i can place her bulbs on the same side
What is the cool side temp? right now its 68F my boiler broke yesterday so its really low, but before it was at 80 degrees
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? where her hammock is since that is the closest to the 100watt bulb, on the floor, on her rock i try to get readings all around
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. right now she has only been eating 1-3 worms every few days, and im trying to feed her vegetables now. her reptiworms will be here next week, along with horn worms.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? i try feeding her morning, and afternoon.
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? calcium repti- cal with d3 and 3 times a week i will try to sprinkle some on her worms.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? she was having a poop every few days, her last poop was sunday
Do you bath your dragon? How often? every other day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? i mist
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? no
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for all of the information.
Can you post a picture of her & the tank just so we can see what she physically looks like?
At this time of year, it very well could be brumation though, which is very common. Since she is a year & a half, she is definitely old enough to brumate.
Your lighting sounds fine to me. They usually wont eat much & will just lay around when brumating.
For her age, calcium 3 times a week is fine unless she is laying eggs & needs extra calcium.

As long as you have the basking temperatures at a range of 95-105 with a cooler end of around 78-82 or so, she should be fine on her temperatures.
Can she climb & support herself on all fours or does she have any trouble walking, etc?

Tracie

xoerika620xo

Original Poster
Hi =) thank you so much for replying, She is doing a whole lot better. She is eating her veggies only with baby food which i am trying to get her off of, and ever since i bought repti worms she has been loving them, i don't even have to hand feed her with them. she does get discourage when she sees so many moving around, i guess she isn't used to seeing so many worms move all at once. The nodding thing with her head i think is just her personality, she just does it only on certain circumstances like when she doesn't want any more food or when i put a piece of carrot on her mouth..i guess its her way of saying "leave me alone" but ever since we've gotten the pheonix worms she has done so much better i am really happy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she is doing so much better, eating her veggies. It is hard to get them off of baby food when they are used to eating it.
Try placing just a few down at a time so she doesn't feel overwhelmed with so many worms moving around. She may do better for eating them with just a few moving around.
They all do have such cute personalities, don't they? I guess her nodding is her way of communicating with you, letting you know she has had enough food for now.

Let us know if you need anything & how your girl is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom