I DID IT, I HELD A DUBIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mkef3bMZ4t1rc67yxo1_500.jpg

I think I love my roaches :"( I don't have a problem feeding them since I know that is their purpose, but I like taking care of them and observing them. They're so gentle and docile. I haven't been able to hold a male yet, not without a glove haha.
It took some time though, I worked with the babies and then finally I was able to get a female to crawl on my hand. She was very scared though ): I put her back in the safety of her colony promptly after this picture.
My mom is rather grossed out by them, but it's getting to the point where she's starting to find them endearing. I just teach her and my step dad what I learn as I go along, and I think they just really appreciate the care and fascination I put into these little buggies.

When were you able to FINALLY hold the roachies?

Durke

Congrats on overcoming your fear!

I'm really freaked out by my dubias too. I'm okay with holding nymphs, and I can even hold a female if I have to, but I'd have to agree about the males. They're just too fast and look more roachy. :(

Nymphs didn't bother me on day one but adults did. Took a week to get used to picking them up, now I just get mad whenever one of the males uses their sticky leg super powers on an egg crate if I remove one. Used to keep the extra males in the feeder bin, eventually got fed up enough to pull them all out, freeze 'em, and now they're turtle treats. (They also moved too quick to feed to my beardie, the freshly molted males aren't though and he loooooves them)

Lenewen

Juvie Member
*shudders*
I've held them for feeding purposes but that's it. They are just too creepy for me! I have a colony as well but don't find them quite as endearing as you. You're lucky, I'm too scared! :D

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Ok..... I think you have given me encouragement. *gulp* I REALLY didn't want to do the colony thing. Roaches freak me out. Not the way spiders do. I'm TERRIFIED of spiders! But.... Ew. Like my husband has a visceral, stomach dropping :puke: to hornworms, but I don't even have THAT extreme of a reaction to the roaches. I think it's because I'm an ExFloridian, and they remind me of palmetto bugs? But I feel like seeing others get over being sqiddgy makes ME feel like I can too... And I recently took in a second beardie, a baby, so a colony is something that would be a very good idea....

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I love my Roachies! My favorite thing about them is when they molt and are all white, they still have little black pupils. I think it's sooo cute! I know I am definitely in the minority here for liking them, but I've liked bugs since I was a little kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom