I cant tell if my new beardie is sick or not...need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader111

Hey all,

Im relatively new to these forums and have only made a few posts. I adoped a bearded dragon from a client about a month ago. With him I also recieved a 20 gal tank (then i didnt know was way too small), and a light fixture that holds 3 bubls. I am not sure of the wattage of any of them. One is a uv light, the other two are basking. I'd have to say its been really interesting and fun so far as I have never owned a bearded dragon. I re-named him Chuck because I couldnt remember the other name he had. When I got him he was very pale, agressive, possibly malnourished, among other things. I believe his diet consisted only of superworms, lettuce and something called kale. During the new week, we both had trouble adapting. I started doing research and found out that my client had no idea what she was doing and was practiacally killing the animal with these conditions. I am a college student on my own, and barley have any money. I immediately went out and bought a $130 60 gallon tank with basking rocks, logs, temp gauges, food dishes and different substrate. I have to say, I couldnt have done this alone, I got a lot of friendly help from all of you on these forums. After a lot of work chuck now has gained wieght, his colors are now very vibrant, loves to crawl on my shoulders and explore, and has been very active. He gets his super worms, with squash, collard and mustard greens, apples, cantelope, etc. However, for the past few days he has been very unactive, not eating live prey..only veggies, I came in from work a few times and he had full on black beards. He isnt basking either. He only deficates when he is in the bath now...which HE HATES. I also notice yellow around his eyes, ear holes (or whatever u call them), and random ones on the horns in and around his beard. It dosent seem to be spreading though and there is not really any on his back or stomach. Its so small that I cant even get a good picture to put on this post. I notice yellow on the skin between his scales. Could these just be his natural colors? I really have no extre $ to take him to a vet. What are the classic symptoms of Yellow fungus? I know beardies can mask their symptoms very well. If his life is in danger I will come up with the $ but right now any advice will help. I apoligize for the long post. Just trying to get everyone all the info I can. :blob8:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Could you post a picture of him so we can see his coloration? It is most likely his natural pigmentation but a picture would help.
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
What are the temps in the tank, & what type of thermometer are you using? Is it a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
What type of basking light are you using? Is it a bright white light or a colored light?
So he doesn't like his baths then? Well, some just do not like baths while others seem to love them!
It sounds like you have him setup pretty well.

Tracie

vader111

Original Poster
I will borrow a digital camera tommorow and post it asap. In the meantime Ill answer your questions. Im using the tube bulb for UV light and that is all I know since the previous owner didnt tell me, and they were already installed (so i cant check the casing.) On the basking side I have 2 probe thermometers and the highest temp ive seen is 95. I usually put a small heater below the tank and it increases the basking side temp inbetween 100-107. I am not sure if that is a good Idea though. And i dont like this method because my room gets extremely hot. Would the wattage increase the basking temps so I wouldnt have to use that heater? I use a strip thermometer on the cool side of the tank which usually regesters 70-85. The basking light is a bright white one. And there are two of them. No he hates his baths, and I can tell that he has never had one before. Also, are their claws always so freakin sharp? Can i trim them a little bit? THanks for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What brand is your tube UVB light? It should say on the base of the tube light. That is very important information for me, so try to find out the brand of it. Thanks.
The undertank heater is not a good idea, no. So, I would turn it off right now, & concentrate on heating from overhead. You have 2 basking lights & your basking temps are what, with both basking lights? Where is your digital probe placed, directly under the basking light?

Is he eating anything today? Did he go to the bathroom? How do his eyes look, are they sunken in or bright & elevated?

Can you post a picture of him, & of your tank?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom