I can get ROACHES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm just curious. What is the main differnce between these Dubia roaches and the kinds we have here roaming around that will infest houses? Can you feed the ones we have here that infest house/buildings to your dragon or not? Just curious as to the difference and haven't had too much time to research.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Sure if they are all captive raised you can. DO NOT FEED INSECTS FROM OUTSIDE. Dubia are just an exotic roach that is very meaty.

Ok. That is cool. I did order some phoenix worms since no one carries them in the store. My mom told me just to breed my own this summer. My husband is still having trouble with all of this buying and breeding bugs stuff. He keeps telling me that he can't wait for Jarjar to get big so he can breed and feed him rats. Told him no way! Those boy rats aren't getting girlfriends and I didn't think the mice were good for them except only occaisionaly.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
I can tell you this. There's no reason that anyone can give me to feed Bearded Dragons Rats or Mice. It's plain ignorance on the owners part to do this. (No dig at you or your husband just voicing my opinion in general) Calcium? That's why you dust your feeders. Vitamins and minerals? Buy a multivitamin. Those are the frequently "told" reasons why people feed them rats and mice. It basically comes down to people getting a kick out of feeding their Beardies live food and posting a video on youtube. I always said that if you want to feed lizards live food such as rats and mice be a man and go get a Tegu or Monitor of some sorts. Just be careful so you don't lose any of your digits both on your hands and your feet! :lol:

Believe me I'm no PETA member. I have quite a few Boa Constrictors that I feed F/T (Frozen Thawed) Rats to on a weekly basis. And I'm not rippin' on you either. Obviously you care about your Bearded Dragon or you wouldn't be on this board asking questions.

-Ian

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
dubia and turks are both easily raised for feeders. another feeder that can be raised with some ease is superworms.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
coachrachel":5f784 said:
Ok, I'm just curious. What is the main differnce between these Dubia roaches and the kinds we have here roaming around that will infest houses? Can you feed the ones we have here that infest house/buildings to your dragon or not? Just curious as to the difference and haven't had too much time to research.
Also to add to what Clear said, the dubia species will not infest your house if any escaped. They don't thrive like the one's in houses/buildings. Not to mention, they don't look as gross. :wink:

andy65

Original Poster
I just put a half of a orange in the tote. We will see how much is left over in the morning.
These guys to have a smell, but its not bad AT ALL. My mom was laughing as she said, "so the orange makes them smell better right?" She was joking. We both found it funny

These guys are BREEDING like rabbits. I went in there to put the orange in and there are TON of babies running around. I have not put the piece of screen on the tote yet. My temp are nice, right about 95-100, its also nice and moist in there. You can tell by the way the air feels in the tote. Do I REALLY need to put the screen on there? I am in the tote just about once a day, to look at food/water levels and to see how they are doing.

Thanks again guys for helping me out with getting them.

Andrew

Well the screen is basically just to keep the dubia roaches inside the tote, and to keep foreign objects from entering. Personally I keep the screen off, since it allows me to check up on them to see food/water levels without having to remove the whole lid, thus possibly disturbing them. I lay the screen on the hole where it should be glued, and i just lift it up when I want to peer inside and replace it when I'm done.

I chop my oranges up so they can eat it faster. It's not necessary, I just do it personally cuz I like to see them eat fast lol. Also will try bananas soon, I finally remembered to buy bananas and will feed it to them, I wonder how fast they'll eat it lol.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Wait until you have the numbers. It's incredible to see how much they eat in less than a 24 hour period. Most of the bins I sell out of have MONDO amounts in there. But when a bin of 10,000 Dubia is about 3 months old they eat a whole orange and 1/4 lb. of chow in less than 24 hours. Rinds and all! Only thing that's left is the very top shiny orange layer of the orange peel. The roach chow? You can't find a speck of it anywhere. It just disappears. And since they are very use to having me go in and out of their cage they I get a chance to really see what goes on. I'll put the food down. A couple flicks of antena and then it's just a hord of Dubia pile onto the food. I'd say within 2 minutes they are covering the food 2 layers of Dubia thick. You couldn't see the food anymore. Amazing! Now put millions and millions and millions of these guys on the floor of the rainforest? No wonder you don't have to rake!

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom