I am worried about my 10 mth old bearded dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare38

I have a 10 month old Beardie who is housed with my 6 mth old Beardie, i bought Babe first(6 mth old) and i bought Darlin(10 mth old) very recently about 3/4 week ago, and as i am new to Beardies i did not realise they might not get on, but Darlin is a very timid Dragon always bowing down to Babe, Babe is very dominant and has attacked Darlin a couple of time's now all that Darlin seem's to do is dig dig dig, and i am worried about her as i do not have another Vivarium yet, plus Darlin is not eating her green's as she should be, only eating her Crix and even then she is bowing down, i wish i could give her some kind of confidence boost or something and until i can buy a new Viv i am really worried about her, i have Benji a 3 yr old male in he's own Viv so there is no choice but to leave her where she is till the end of the month. If anyone has any advice for me i would love to hear it.

She has a black beard most of the time(which i heard mean's stress related) and Babe seem's to be trying to attack her more often over the last week, which has resulted in Darlin becoming even worse with the digging and she bows down like every 5 mins or so(like it has become a habit) even when Babe is just minding her own business, which then make's Babe get on the defensive i am only assuming this is the case. i just wish i could shout at Darlin and say' STOP BEING SO TIMID AND BE DEFENSIVE AT TIMES TOO'. And unfortunately there is nothing much i can do but get her out of the viv for a bit.Until i get paid :'(

Gail

BD.org Addict
How sure are you about their genders? Bowing is generally something females doing during mating and the digging could mean she has eggs to lay. Does she look fat? If you fell her tummy can you feel marble like lumps? If you do, then she will need a lay box.
When Bebe, attacks, what part of Darlin is she biting?

I'm afraid if you wait until the end of the month you may end up with a very sick dragon. Is there any way you can get a temporary cage? You can use a large rubbermaid tub, just make sure the lights don't touch the plastic.

clare38

Original Poster
Yea they are both female's as they have just the single bump above the vent on the tail and i checked the male to compare, at first she ragged her around her mouth, then they were fine for awhile i let them both out about 2 day's ago an Babe bit her leg, and that is not really normal i assume. and how would i make this makeshift tank? also i did change the male's log with the female's and ever since then Darlin has been diggin she has not mated as i have not her near Benji at all.

clare38

Original Poster
Also Baby who i have had from 3 mth old has never taken a drink not even in the bath is that normal?? ive seen Darlin take a drink in the bath aswell as Benji, but they do not drink from the water dish at all. And Darlin can have a few moment's being a touch dominant when she fancy's baskin under the lamp for eg: jumping on top of Babe, and from 5pm ish there like best of buddie's laying together and not digging so there are a few positives, but only a few.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Good, at least you don't have to worry about accidental breeding but I would still check darlin for eggs, she can still have them even if she has never mated.
To make a temp cage, get the biggest rubbermaid tub you can, put down newspaper for flooring and add what ever cage furnishings you want. You can lay the UVB fixture across the top of the tub but you will have to figure out how to use a heat light without it touching the plastic. You could use a lamp stand or something outside the cage to clamp the dome fixture to.
Often with a set up like that, you don't use a lid but if you want, you can get some kind of wire to cover the top with so there is no escapes. I really don't think your girls will ever get along well enough to leave together, even if there are moments of peace right now. Them laying next to each other isn't because they are buds and it sounds like they both are really stressed.
My dragon never drinks from the bath, some just won't. I do make him drink from a syringe at least once a week though or I feed him silkworms for a few days since they are so juicy.

clare38

Original Poster
i actually feel that my 6 mth old Beardie called 'Babe' is a male, as i was told he was a male when i bought him but she was not 100% as he was only 3 mths old at the time, but a few week's ago when i checked him there were no bumps or dimple so then i assumed he was a she , now i checked this morning and i can see 2 small bumps at either side, and there are alot of simularity's to Benji my 3 yr old male beardie and my 6 mth old one, like babe(thinking of a new name as we speak) does never bow down at all, like Darlin does, so after all that worry i have a male and female housed together, but i am still going to buy another Viv anyway, also another worry i have is my 10 mth old beardie is not all that big really im not sure the right size for a female beardie at 10 mth's old , but she is just a tad bigger than my 6 mth old one. By the way Gail thank's for your answer's and i get paid this friday so she will be in a new home very soon :) and plus she has been eating again thank god with a bit of my help.

I do not have a clue what a Rubbermaid Tub is as im from the UK, so i could not make a makeshift home for her i'm afraid.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
It's just a plastic container.. Kinda looks like this
plasticbin.jpg

But u would wanna look for one thats longer and has more floor space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom