I am so sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight while candling my 4 week old eggs one of them just all of the sudden popped. There was a perfectly formed little baby in there. I just burst into tears when I saw him. PLEASE PLEASE, be careful when candling. I am not candling mine any more. I feel horrible.

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i never heard of candling bearded dragon eggs, they are not like chicken eggs and are incubated without light...I am sorry you lost a baby. I heard if you candle them it can do damage as well.

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Hey I am so sorry :( I only did this the day they were born and then 2 of them a few days ago. I will not be doing this again. Thank you for the heads up. By the way I emailed you a few days ago to see how things are going........did you get it? I hope everything else is going well and again I'm really sorry.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
I'm sorry for your loss, but dragon eggs become fragile after the first 7-10 days... Candling is only used the first couple of days to verify the eggs are fertile, once you identify they have the veins and embryonic sac you don't candle again... Somewhere between day 3 and day 7 the embryo attaches it's self to the egg wall and a membrane is created for air passage, if you candle anytime after this point the bright light can frighten the embryo and yoke sac tearing is possible. This will result in the death of the embryo, but I just wanted to remind everyone that candling is not necessary provided you can see the red/pink dot on the eggs surface. I've yet to have to candle any of my eggs, but remember don't candle after the 3 day mark and you will be good to go!

Hope all is well, and again I'm sorry for your loss OP.

Anthony

ewstokes

Juvie Member
I never "candle" my eggs. What I do the first day when I place them in their nests is I place a light underneath a cardboard box with a tiny hole in it. I then turn off all the lights and it works just like candling, just without the fire.

jeitzen

Juvie Member
You have to be careful when handling the eggs I had three pop on me last year. One after moving the container!

As for candling, I use a little led light and piece of paper. I put the paper next to the egg and shine the light on the other side. This will have the desired effect. You dont have to candle often. I do it a couple of weeks after the lay.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I never candle mine. There's not much you can do at that point anyhow. I just wait a few weeks to see if the egg remains viable.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom