Humidity!?

Blue_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blue
So my 4x2x2 tank can't hold any humidity. My lizards vet told us that it would be a good idea to raise the humidity in her tank. She has had a respiratory infection before so this is very serious to us. I have one humidity thermometer in the middle of her tank(2 more are on there way right now). She has a 150 watt heater with a 50 watt in the middle and her temp are also perfect(recommended by vet as well). She has been perfectly healthy but I'm trying to avoid something in the future. We even bought a mister and it's not even helping. It keeps lowering to around the 20s. Any ideas!?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not TOO low and shouldn't affect her health. How long ago was her R.I. and how long to recover ?

You can always buy a humidifier for the room aimed at her enclosure. Something else to try is to get a plastic shoe box, cut dime sized holes in the lid and put a very wet towel inside, wet enough so there''s water in the bottom. Put it somewhat near her basking area and it may raise the humidity at least a bit. You'd have to add more water every day or so and wash the towel every few days but rinse it well so it doesn't leave any detergent residue smell.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dragon's don't suffer health consequences from humidity being too low. They suffer health consequences from it being too high. 20% humidity is fine, especially since it's probably only low because of the weather where you live, and running a heater in the house.

Adding a mister to the tank which is putting large droplets of water into the tank to be breathed in is going to increase the chances of a RI. Not to mention, most misters/humidifiers are breeding grounds for bacteria when not cleaned religiously. So now your dragon is breathing in droplets of bacteria water, a perfect recipe for an RI.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Dragon's don't suffer health consequences from humidity being too low. They suffer health consequences from it being too high. 20% humidity is fine, especially since it's probably only low because of the weather where you live, and running a heater in the house.

Adding a mister to the tank which is putting large droplets of water into the tank to be breathed in is going to increase the chances of a RI. Not to mention, most misters/humidifiers are breeding grounds for bacteria when not cleaned religiously. So now your dragon is breathing in droplets of bacteria water, a perfect recipe for an RI.

-Brandon
I agree completely. I lived in vegas for 5 years with the humidity at 4 to 6 percent with zero issues, including with shedding

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom