humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardkohr

i recently added a Dragon to my household and my roomate loved him so much he went and bought a green iguana... housed in the same room (the basement) as Lewis my new dragon. since the addition of the iguana Lola i noticed Lewiss cage (basically a crossfire handmade enclosure) has increased in humidity to about 55%. how much of an issue is this? and should i add a humidifier down here? the basement set up is nice and wed like to keep our reptiles down here away from the dog and daily noise. any input would be helpful!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Wow, that is pretty high... What kind of lighting are you using ? Do you offer the dragon a water bowl ?

Also what kind of substrate is there ? If it is a particulate such as sand, you should reconsider other non particulates, such as ceramic tile, or paper towels, or even non adhesive shelf liners.

If there is indeed a water bowl, go ahead and remove that. If you offer a 15-20 bath every other day, that will be more than enough to keep him hydrated, and it will lower the humidity considerably.

Hope this helped !
Janie.

hardkohr

Original Poster
yeah im using a 75 watt red basking bulb and a 10.0 reptisun 3' uvb bulb. i had a water dish in there but removed it as soon as i saw the increase. didnt lower the humidity at all. Also im using shelf liner as a substrate. have been since i got him.

so giving him a bath will lower the humidity? ill try that... every other day for 15 mins or so. he shouldnt mind it cause hes shedding... about one leg every 3-4 days lol.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Sounds like he is shedding nicely. The baths will help with that. I wonder, if you were to replace that basking bulb with a house hold 40w flood light if that would make the difference.

I do know that basements are horribly humid, the one we had ( okay reaching back into adolescence now) in Minnesota, was so humid, we had to have 4 dehumidifiers going to keep abreast of the mold !

It was a biiiiig basement ! lol

You can also use, a product called Damp Rid, near the viv, not IN the viv. This actually pulls moisture from the air, so that might help.

Let us know how things are going !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom