humidity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypie

Hello, i have a 40 gallon tank right now and the temperature in there is 91.8 and the humidity is 44%! I am wondering what are some ways i can get my humidity down. I live in texas so its humid all of the time. Ive read that anywhere from 10-30 % is okay for humidity, but am still not sure

BurtonRW

Same problem here.

Alynga is in a 40 gal breeder. Cool side is between 75-80 during the day and the humidity (as measured by a probe stuck to the glass on the cool side) is anywhere from 45-50%! She has a screen top and believe it or not, an EvaDry333 in the tank on the cool side, right next to the probe.

I'm worried that she'll develop a URI, but I have no idea how to decrease her humidity.

-Rob

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi,
Sorry this post wasn't caught...it's a bit of a health concern which may get more attention to put it in the Health section next time (just so questions like this get an answer :) )
Humidity is debatable, but I'm in Kansas and do understand the high humidity issues (especially this year). I don't like mine to go over 40%, I prefer more of the 25 to 35% range.
There are a few ways to try to drop the humidity though. A fan in the room, near the enclosure (not in it), but that and placement near a vent in the house (not direct, but semi-near) both allow air circulation and may help slightly. Also, don't mist enclosures (not sure if you are) when humidity is that high, baths are ok, but don't mist or have a water dish in the enclosure itself. Another option is a dehumidifier. I've never had to use that one myself, but they do help. It's easier to raise humidity than lower it unfortunately. Bumping the basking temp up to 98 to 103 (or 95 to 105F) is also a good idea. And, obviously, no materials (substrate or whatever, etc.) that can hold or increase moisture in any way. A CHE Ceramic heat emitter can also be used, it sucks the humidity out of a room/enclosure fairly quick in what experience I have with one lol, but raises temps too...but useful for night as it doesn't emit any light.
Hope that helped a bit, it is difficult and takes several trial and error things to try to get it lowered, but it is possible.

And honeypie, I will respond to the other post about the weight/length in a bit. But, wanted to help here real quick too. She doesn't look too small though (actually great considering how small she was), she does have very developed fat pads, but her length is not an issue, I'll explain more soon.

Abi

honeypie

Original Poster
Yeah I should have put it in the health section but wasn't sure where to put it. I have a ceiling fan that's pretty close to her cage that is mostly always going and she is just about right under a vent. if it doesn't go down soon ill look into trying a dehumidifier! oh..wanted to ask about the CHE thing.. if I were to have to go down that alley would I put it over her cage?

Thank you so much for helping me out you are a lifesaver!!

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi again,
Sorry I never got back to the other post, but I will check back on that (my mom had just been telling me that there is a chance my grandma has cancer again-in a bit of shock and definitely daze-but thinking about other things is extremely helpful at the moment- but it side-tracked me earlier). I did see that someone had posted the majority of the questions I was going to ask (I have been MIA for awhile so I don't know everyone as well as I used to, but from what I glanced at, their advice is very good and exactly where I was headed, I will still double-check for you, never hurts to have a couple people looking and a few opinions on things always helps me make a better choice with Kaira's health).
No worries, this one is a bit difficult to categorize. I know some things enclosure related are hard to know where to put as it is an enclosure problem with a potential health concern (you can always PM if you want too, I don't know everything and am not an expert, just have my own experiences).
Good that there's a fan and she's fairly close to a vent too-I know the humidity has been very high this year (it's even affected my health with allergies and such).
I don't have personal experience with dehumidifiers, but it is one of the common recommended things to lower high humidity.
The CHE...I do not like them, personally, but have used one to heat a large tank in the cold winter nights. It lowered the humidity in the room, though. The reason I don't like to use them unless I absolutely have to is that they worry me, as they can get very hot, but others use them often without any issues...that part is just me lol.
How tall/large is her cage? It'd depend on the size of the cage as to if I'd recommend it over the cage, but I can tell you to make sure you have a really good fixture if you decide to use one. I believe it's the porcelain fixtures (or "brooder" fixtures) that are recommended with them (they can get too hot for smaller fixtures and for non-porcelain types).
It wouldn't have to be above her cage, though. In the room maybe enough or "near" the cage, just be very careful about where you put it if you do get one, not too close to anything flammable, to the floor, that can melt, etc. Like I said, they worry me, but others use them regularly with no problems.

No problem, glad to help :D ,

Abi

honeypie

Original Poster
that's alright, im so sorry about your grandmother.

I think I may try a dehumidifier to see if that works. I don't think I would like using the che because I am a worrier too :) her cage is a 40 gallon aquarium.. I am pretty sure it's 16 inches high..could be 18 though.

I think I'll stick with a safer alternative for now (dehumidifier) and see if that helps!

-Cheyenne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Welchy2000
Top Bottom