humidity help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

My roommate and I each have baby bearded dragons in their own 40 gallon vivs. They cannot see each other at all (have the sides blocked). Each tank was a zoomed starter kit as neither of us had ever owned a reptile, let alone a bearded dragon.

I was looking up answers for my humidity issue (each tank is reading a different number) and was trying to find the answer for whether or not damprid works and if it's ok to use. Obviously I wouldn't put it in the viv, but at least in the room to try to get the humidity levels to balance out? Falkor's (mine) humidity level sometimes hits the high 40's and that's too close to 50 for my comfort level. Dumbledore (my roommate's) goes from 40-45 ish.

I'd like to just find a way to balance them out so I was thinking of putting damprid under where the tanks are. Any ideas would be great. The ceiling fan in the room is always on, but the ac isn't. Should we be using the ac down there? Would it help with the humidity balance? Dumbledore's viv is closer to the vent, while Falkor's is closer to the door to the room.

thanks in advance for any help or ideas

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Damprid does pretty well dehumidifying small areas (I use it in my shower room). I don't think you need it in this case though. Those humidity levels are totally fine. Their natural habitat sometimes goes up over 60% humidity. If it doesn't feel exceedingly humid in the room to you then it's probably not an issue at all.

If you are using the starter kits, I suggest not using the sand if they came with it and it's important to upgrade the UVB light. In a 40g tank I suggest using a 22'' T5 bulb and fixture for UVB like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ It's also good to use digital thermometers with probes to get the surface temp readings on the basking site and cool surfaces rather than rely on stick on or dial thermometers which are inaccurate.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer. I definitely think I’m experience new dragon mom anxiety. I just want to make sure they’re both ok. We use repticarpet but might switch to sand when they get older (maybe at a year old). I’ll definitely look into those lights though so thanks!!!

On a side note, Falkor looks like he’s shedding on his face, anything I can do to help aside from misting and baths?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't switch to sand. It is hard to keep sanitary and begins to stink since it harbors bacteria. It can cause problems if it's ingested too. I would stick with solid substrate.

Face sheds can be frustrating to them but they can clear them just like any other shed. No intervention is needed. If he hass access to a piece of loopless carpet to provide a rough surface that may help him if he can rub up against it.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
He has a few things to rub on. He’s been doing this eye bulge thing every now and then. My concern is his appetite cause it’s dropped from about 10-12 crickets to 2-5 at a time. But i also know when they shed sometimes they just don’t want to do anything except get the skin off so their appetite drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom