"Huffing" and chirping after being in/drinking water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I had a question. Last night I gave my 5/6 month old beardie a bath, and while he was in the bath I twirled my finger in the water to see if he would like the ripples, since my other beardie LOVES it when I do that, but he got wide eyed and started twitching his back legs like he was trying to get something off of him. I quickly stopped and thought he would be find once I got him out, but he twitched once more once he was out, so I felt his belly, thinking perhaps he had eaten something too big, but there was nothing alarming, and he has since pooped. A little after that, he began "huffing". Almost like coughing, but the sound is more like he's mad and shoving all of the air out of his body with all of the strength he can muster. He did it a few times last night and has been doing it a lot more tonight. He would only eat one cricket tonight, so I thought perhaps he was thirsty. He was thirsty, but after he was done drinking he did a not so violent version of his "huffing" and made chirping noises while puffing his beard a bit. He has chirped once before, but it was when he was only around a month old and I had frightened him. He's normally very laid back and he just kind of chills most of the time, but suddenly he's looking around quickly and moving his head a lot. My mom thinks he's just getting more character because he's getting older. She says he's probably just taking more notice of things, including his reflection. I guess that makes sense, but I'm still a little scared. I plan on taking him to the vet very soon, but does anyone have any idea what could be up, if anything? I have considered respiratory infection, but he's not gaping, nor is there any mucus or anything like that. He just "huffs" and chirps, and then licks his lips. Perhaps he got water in his lungs? How quickly can that become a respiratory infection?

Thanks!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
What was the temperature of his bath water? did he turn black or blackbeard at all? I only ask because we just had our 5 1/2-6month old at the vet for very similar behavior. We took him out of the bath and he turned totally black, hissed, clicked, puffed,etc. Was fine by the time we got him to the vet--the water was too cold !!!! (he had gone into the beginning stages of hypothermia!!
How is your lizard now?

kaverifriend

Original Poster
I don't know the exact temperature of the water, but it was warm. Neither his beard nor the rest of his body turned color. I haven't noticed him huffing today, but he's seemed to be resting a lot. Not sleeping, just lying under his log chilling. He has eaten today, crickets and baby food, so perhaps his recent episodes were nothing. I'm still going to take him to the vet, just to be sure there isn't something up.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
If you are describing what I think you are it is perfectly normal.
My baby will flick her legs at me if i ripple the water and my older boy Ruben will "huff and puff" in the bath. By which I mean a half hearted beard on and off and retract himself in and out. Like pompus old men do when insulted? (only way I can think of describing it).

Hope that was of some help.
Holly

Joy63

My beardie loves to play in the water, he huffs too and it's just to make himself blow up so he floats on the water! He also splashes a lot too. Hope this helps.

kaverifriend

Original Poster
Thanks guys, he went to the vet and there is nothing wrong with his lungs, so his puffing was normal. But he does have coccidia. That's probably why he's been so run down lately.

kaverifriend

Original Poster
He has been on medication for a week now and he is doing MUCH better. He's playing and happy again. =) He hasn't coughed at me again, nor has he chirped again, so I don't know what was up with that, but at least now his insides are feeling better. I felt so bad when I found out my beardies had parasites (the other one has a different kind that my mom couldn't remember what it is) but the vet said it wasn't anything I did, and they got them from the pet shops they were at. Then I felt a little better, but I still feel bad that they're sick.=( Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom