How's My Set Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLab

Wanted to get some thoughts on Nova's set up as it stands at the moment.
32b9204e-a258-4a41-8eb3-7bde380cc650-original.jpg

I intend to get more greenery to hide the ventilation ports and for the blank sides. I would also like to get some live plants. I know they will get eaten, that doesn't bother me. I think live plants are nice, and its more clean air.

She's been climbing all over the branches and the cork, not ventured onto her hammock yet though. I am thinking of getting a dish wish some substrate that she can dig in. I've read a small designated area for digging with a substrate should be okay, as it probably won't be ingested. Does anyone else have something like that in their beardie habitat?

I'll more than likely swap out the coil UVB bulb for a tube soon.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
First of all, Hi BlueLab!

Honestly, that looks amazing. Especially since you're swapping to better UV... I would watch the hammock as /some/ beardies have issues with their toes getting caught, but it seems to be an individual thing (and less likely if you keep their claws properly trimmed).

Make sure to use plants that are safe to eat - I have some recs if you want them.

For the digging area... How big is that tank? I think it should be fine, but you'll need to be a bit creative to do it right... I might make a "wall" essentially with two climbing posts to get in/out so that your dragon doesn't scatter substrate all over the place and also to reduce the number of feeders that get in there.

Hope that helps!
-Ellen

BlueLab

Original Poster
Hey Ellentomologist (I love the name, btw!)

Thank you! I was worried it was maybe a bit cluttered or it was too busy. Or maybe there wasn't enough for Nova to do, or not enough variation in height and texture and the like. As I said, I have a few things arriving, including a large plastic vine to cover the vents at the bottom left corner, and a ceramic hide, as at the moment the only really shady area is a small cork log, and I would like for her to have somewhere else too.

A recommendation for live plants would be great. I know of a few that are safe - jade plants and aloe vera mainly - that are safe, but other suggestions would be great.

I'll keep an eye on how she fairs with the hammock - if she struggles with it then I'll take it out or swap things around.

I do have a question, which may be very stupid... Is it right to have the heat lamp up one end and the UV lamp down the other? Or should they be closer together? I'm curious due to the fact that obviously beardies need a cool end of the viv, and a hot end. So, m logical brain is saying the two lamps should be close together for optimum heat output, but all the vivs I've seen have the two separated. That should answer my question, I know, but I wanted other people to weigh in as I want her enclosure to be the best it can be so she's healthy and does have the right set up.

As for the digging area, the viv is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft...
A wall with climbing posts is something I hadn't thought of. Like giving her a pool of substrate to dig in, and then climb out of. I'll have to see what I can find and come up with in regards to that, might be a bit of a DIY project. ^^

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the name compliment - I was rather happy with it myself, lol.

I guess you could take advantage of the vertical space a little bit more - which in turn would give your girl more flat areas too... It's a lot better than a lot of setups I see, though. A couple good shady spots seem to be a major boon IMO. I don't think enough people give their BDs good hiding spots, but my boy certainly loves his when he's a tired thing.

Personal favorites are Elephant Feed and violets - NOT African violets, common violets like the type that grows commonly and shady areas. Most herbs are also great - I have the best success with rosemarry and cilantro.

Regarding the UV... It's not a stupid question at all, and I've heard different things depending. I think most people do them separate for even lighting of the tank, tbh, so they don't have to add a third light for visibility. I personally do a UVB bulb centered in the back of the terrarium for even lighting and use a CHE for heat and haven't had any issues. Keep in mind, though, that I take Guac out of his tank a LOT - minimum an hour a day - so he usually gets a lot of other types of light either by tromping around my apartment or going outside with me. He also has two hides always avaiable, one of which is also his basking platform... Becuase of this he essentially has a "hot" hide (about 90-ish degrees inside) and a cool hide (about 78-82 degrees inside) if he wants to get away from the UVB completely.

Oh, 4x2x2 is a great size! How long if your dragon? With my boy being about 17", I'd probably aim for a substrate area that was about 8"x18" so he could easily have his whole body in it... Personally I don't have a dig box, but I like the idea, and I'm kinda considering getting a small kiddi-pool (the 3-4' kind) to add to my reptile play pen.

I'd really live to see how this progresses and share ideas!

Thanks,
-Ellen

BlueLab

Original Poster
I'll do that, make more use of the vertical space. I only got the viv and Nova yesterday, so setting it all up was a bit of a rush job. Cutting things to fit, and getting the lights all in. I just wanted to make sure there was something set up well enough for her to not be bored.

I had heard that herbs were a good choice, so I'll see what I can find and give those a chance. Never heard of elephant feed, but i'll look both those and violets up.

Her basking rock is elevated, balance on one of the branches which creates a nice shady area underneath it. I do intend to have a hide at both ends, so the option for a shady place is up to her where she goes, but the option is always there...

A separated digging area could be doable, like you say a kiddie pool or something along those lines so it doesn't take up room in the viv, but is some enrichment that can be offered daily. I do intend for her to be out a fair bit and give her other places in the home where she can go and bask. Right now, she's only about 8 inches long, and she's so fast. I'm taking her out for about fifteen minutes every couple of hours to get her used to being handled and to help her learn that I'm not a threat. I don't want to stress her out.

So far, she seems pretty relaxed. She hasn't been "glass dancing", just occasionally I see her with her front feet on the glass and just peering out at me, which seems fine...

Can you tell I'm a new owner? I did research, but still feel utterly unprepared and am checking everything she does. n_n;;;

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As far as placement of the uv bulb goes, it's best to have it situated alongside the basking area. This is because just like a heat gradient, you want a uv gradient also.

You also want the highest levels of uv exposure to be at the basking surface, and the lowest to be on the cool side. So it makes the most sense to situate your uv bulb right near the basking surface.

If you use the long fluorescent uvb bulbs, you should have no issues with needing more light in the tank, even with the bulb butted up to the hot side.

Your tank looks great by the way.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom