how you found the beardie world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squral

Hatchling Member
ok so everone post there own story of how they became introduced to the beardie world ill start it off
ever since i was little i loved reptiles (what little boy doesn't) and always caught lizerds and snakes and so on. the end of two summers ago i was on a boating trip ha ha there was tuns of little lizerds there so i caught two of um, and to my surprise my mom was fine with me keeping them. so i took them home and put them in a little critter keeper i left them in a sumwhat sunny spot and went to the pet store to get them a cage and lights and stuff. i got home with all the new stuff and they were dead i was so mad at myself for leaving them in the sun. i was really upset so my mom said i could buy a lizerd. i did some research and decided i wanted a bearded dragon not knowing at the time what i was getting into. well i found a good breeder and got the right cage and lighting and brougnt the little guy home. i fell in love with him and now almost a year and a half later i still am. :D

Freeie

Extreme Poster
My daughters bf bought her one and she came home with a beardie no cage no lights no nothing lets just say we learned alot in a short period of time we loved her to death and we now have 5 :D

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
i messed up and killed my water dragon (couldn't get and keep the humidity high enough) so i decided to get a beardie to try the whole herp thing again and next thing i know a reptile expo was in saint louis, so i went for it and ended up with my cutie, sahara

tupac105

I was at a farmers market and and the first stand I saw had baby beardies(to young(only a week old)) ad geckos and by the time I was done shopping it was the last stand I saw. lol. I also learned a lot in a short period of time.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Several years ago one of my husband's old bosses(was his boss at the time) had a small collection of various reptiles but he kept them in this sheet metal shop which was his airconditioning business. Well I'd go in and peek at them every few days. As time went one I noticed that Rocky his beardie as well as his other reptiles weren't getting the best of care. No attention, fed about once every 2 weeks, and there was never any clean water in their viv's only poopy water. Nasty!

Well one day I went in and told my husbands boss that I was taking Rocky home with me...he looked at me puzzled for a moment as he wasn't sure if I was kidding or not....then he said fine consider him Frank's (hubby's) Christmas bonus. Cool I was out of there in seconds flat. Not like Frank would have gotten a bonus from him for Christmas anyway. So Rocky is the beardie that is responsible for the love of beardies that I have today. Rest In Peace My Rockstar!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
A lady I knew as one of the customers in the College bookstore had brought in a nice beardie with a beautiful orange beard and let me hold her. I could handle that as it wasn't a snake, I don't go in for snakes. Quite a while later she called me at work and asked me if I wanted her and her best friend. I called my husband and he said "yes". For some reason, she wanted to get rid of them. I don't understand why myself as they both were loving girls, especially the orange bearded one that we named Miss O (for orange). She always seemed to crave being loved. Miss Y was very ornery, she always wanted to chew my hair, no matter how many times I told her not to. We have been hooked ever since.
Here's a picture of them that we took with one of our model cars. Miss Y is behind the car and Miss O is in front.
my11-002.jpg

contessa20

Hatchling Member
All my life I have been terrified of snakes. While I had no knowledge of lizards, I just assumed they would be in the same category for me and so I never even entertained having one as a pet. Well, about 5 yrs. ago my brother was moving from his apartment and couldn't take his Water Dragon with him so he asked me to take him. I was nervous at first but as soon as I held him and he started exploring all over me I was in love. Rufus came home with me shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, his UV light was a coil and I was led to believe that this was acceptable. I didn't do any reading or research but instead listened to what my brother (a well meaning animal lover but a misinformed pet store employee just the same). After a few months of deteriorating health and vet visits out the wazoo, Rufus died. Shortly thereafter a second Water Dragon suffered the same fate at my hands which is when I finally learned about the dangers of the coil UV lights.

Then, a teacher and friend at my son's school brought in her beautiful Bearded Dragon and I was hooked. I decided then and there that I wanted one. I was "THAT" lady who asked a zillion questions of the breeder and read every book, article and website I could find on Bearded Dragons before my Mango came to live with me.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
My other half had always wanted one, and one day we went in our friends shop and lo and behold she had some beardies. I fell in love with one, and we wound up going back for him a week later. Now we have 3 beardies, and a whole lot of babies. :lol:

I was very lucky as a child to live all over Africa so there were all kinds of repiles around us. I went to OZ when I was 18 and saw BDs in the wild. I sat for hours watching them. It wasnt till about 5 years ago I went in to petshop and saw them for sale but my (then) husband woulded let me have one. I have just divorsed him and got my own house so my dream came true 3 weeks back, and Merlin came home with me from a lady that had rescued him.

GarinGazelle

Hatchling Member
I've loved reptiles ever since i was little, but moreso lizards than snakes. I'd always though about getting a gecko or something. I liked snakes, but not as much as lizards. I was comfortable around them because one of my moms best friends sons had like 6. He had a corn snakes, boa, milksnakes, and a couple others. but my 5th grade teachers brought in his savannah moniter one day and i was like " :eek: "

he carried it in a dog carrier it was huge lol. i had a snake a couple years back, but that was my first reptile and he died a month or so after i got him. so i hadnt wanted to buy one being afraid i'd kill it.

then, this last year, i had enough money for one. and i got Reptar. July 15th is the day i brought him home :). He's still a little small, but he may just be short.

i hate this fact, but sometimes i forget or dont have time to feed him during the day. but the longest he's ever gone without cricks is 2 days. and i feed him pellets during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom