How would I go about houses a male and female?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 beardies between the family, 2 males, 2 females.

1x male is adult

1x female is adult

1x male is young-adult

1x female is young-adult

It's not the space or cost, I just don't want them to be lonely! Some man at the pet-shop said they like the company.

How could I possibly house 1 pair together (if possible)?

My adult female is quite lazy, I put the 2 girls together under my supervision for about 2 minutes, and she done nothing, but the little one ran around and ate all her food!

My adult male is sooo peaceful towards me, but when I put Him and my adult female together, he head bobs like mad, and goes for her! She proceeds to do nothing at all, and just let it happen, so I put a stop to it there.

The 2 youths used to live happily together when we first got them and they were really small. Since then we have moved them out.

My question basically is, can I house any of these together?

Cheers!

sue09

Hatchling Member
If it was me I wouldn't tempt fate,you can't watch them all the time. They are solitary animals and as I have seen they will attack when you least expect it.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Please go read the various threads around here on Co-Habitation.

In short, we HIGHLY recommend that you NEVER house beardies together.

Beardies are solitary creatures. They neither want nor appreciate another
beardie within their "territory".

Put almost any 2 beardies together and you will have some sorts of dominance issues. When they lay on top of each other, that's not cuddling up, that's dominating the other beardie and taking the better spot for basking/food/etc.

Put a male and female together and you WILL have mating going on. Period.
In fact, the male will often assault and try to mate with the female so much
and so often that she becomes sick or gets injured (mating isn't exactly a loving affair between beardies).

Intentional breeding involves putting the male and female together just long enough for the breeding to occur and then separating them again. [although I always recommend against breeding by 99% of pet owners].

Put 2 males together and you will almost certainly end up with 1 or 2 injured or dead dragons. Adult males will almost always end up fighting each other.

Sometimes you can house 2 females together, but even then there may be fighting and injuries. We've even seen instances where 2 females "got along just fine" for months/years until something set one of them off, and *boom* now you've got massive vet bills or you're burying a beardie or two.

It's just not worth the risk.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Oh and FYI - pretty much never trust anything "some man" or "some employee" at a pet store tells you. 90% of the time it's not just wrong, but the exact opposite of what you should be doing.

Finding a pet store employee who actually knows anything about reptiles is usually a difficult task. Finding one who knows the correct husbandry for multiple species of reptiles is even less likely.

UltimateShelly

Original Poster
Soulwind":xkcvvixs said:
Please go read the various threads around here on Co-Habitation.

In short, we HIGHLY recommend that you NEVER house beardies together.

Beardies are solitary creatures. They neither want nor appreciate another
beardie within their "territory".

Put almost any 2 beardies together and you will have some sorts of dominance issues. When they lay on top of each other, that's not cuddling up, that's dominating the other beardie and taking the better spot for basking/food/etc.

Put a male and female together and you WILL have mating going on. Period.
In fact, the male will often assault and try to mate with the female so much
and so often that she becomes sick or gets injured (mating isn't exactly a loving affair between beardies).

Intentional breeding involves putting the male and female together just long enough for the breeding to occur and then separating them again. [although I always recommend against breeding by 99% of pet owners].

Put 2 males together and you will almost certainly end up with 1 or 2 injured or dead dragons. Adult males will almost always end up fighting each other.

Sometimes you can house 2 females together, but even then there may be fighting and injuries. We've even seen instances where 2 females "got along just fine" for months/years until something set one of them off, and *boom* now you've got massive vet bills or you're burying a beardie or two.

It's just not worth the risk.

Alright thanks! I wont house them together, just to be on the safe side! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom