How to set up Heating for a 55 G tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

danidoodle

Hello there!

I'm moving my bearded dragon Stephano into a larger tank soon, and I was wondering how i should heat it properly because i've never headed an enclosure that big before. I live on an island, so I have to order from petco or petsmart to get these items, so I was wondering what I needed

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
If you have access to a store that sells lightbulbs you can get a bright white bulb and use that. A 75w depending on the space between the bulb and the basking spot should be able to heat to the right temperature. Make sure the bulb is clear, not that cloudy white film looking ones. Since it's only being used for heat for proper digestion you don't necessarily need a pet specific bulb.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
theres no way anyone can answer this for you. you have to experiment yourself.

i had a 150w basking bulb at the hot end, and a 60w at the cool end, and my temps were barely where they needed to be (in a 55g)....other people use a single 75w and get perfect temps.....theres too many factors involved other than bulb watts and placement for anyone to tell you or even guess what you will need....trial and error is the best/only way

I also have a 55 gall and I have to be sure he can gets up high enough to the basking light for it to be effective. Problem is, if he wakes up a long way from the basking light, he often doesn't have the sense to go find it and I have to literally pick him up and put him there. Not a good arrangement. I'm looking for a smaller tank.

czuber

Hatchling Member
I'm setting up a 55 as well. I'm taking all these into consideration. I have a custom made top that needs to be tweaked. We will see how it goes. Right now he has a 25. Should be good for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom