how to prepare for brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
I've read some articles and post on here about brumation, and i believe my newly adopted bearded dragon may be starting to brumate soon.

This is my first adult bearded dragon, so i've never had to deal with this event before and i'm not quite sure what to expect, or how to deal with brumation.

I thought i should ask the "experts" their opinion :D
She's been acting very sluggish, lazy, not interested in moving the last few days. I got her out and she just wanted to lay on my hand. i put her down and she did her typical run-around the living room but she started falling asleep while sitting so i decided to put her back in her viv.
is this all typical of brumation?
She's an everyday "pooper" and she didn't go today although she did eat her whole salad along with 5 super worms.

should i move her somewhere more comfortable in her viv to go into brumation?
should i try to keep her awake so she can poo before she wants to sleep for a while?
she hasn't completely lost her appettite yet, so should i continue to offer her food ?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello Kacymyree. I would let your pooper poop and then take it in for a fecal just to make sure their is nothing in their. If she is falling asleep while sitting then it sure does sound like it! I would try to put a blankee in the viv and see if she stays under it! If she does then it is about time you let her go down. If she does not come out then you can reduce the time on the UVB and heat. If you are running a 12/12 schedule then I would say drop it down to about 3-4 hours a day if she does not come out. If she does then you can give her all the time she needs. Just my 2cents and any more questions just ask or PM! :wink:

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Twoberdieguy, So should i take her off her her favorite log and lay her on the bottom of the viv under a blanket ? or leave her where she is ?
also, as of right now she hasn't pooed like she does everyday, should i continue to offer her salad and crickets/supers?
Should i wake her up to bathe her ?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
If she is sleeping then you can leave her be. If she is out and does not wake up then you can stop feeding. However is she is in and out you could still offer a salad. Good luck.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well she is still moving around but not very much, I guess i'll just offer her salad. thanks for the help.

pepper44

When my beardie is ready to brumate he hides himself. The first time he did it was last year and I didn't realize it was supposed to happen, and I thought he was dead! He goes underneath of his basking platform in the darkest, coolest corner of the tank and curls up and doesn't move for several months.

He just woke up today...a month earlier than he did last year. We moved his cage, maybe that's why. He looks so pathetic right now. His skin is wrinkled and saggy! I bathed him and I have to go out and get him some salad. He'll have to wait a couple days for crickets or worms since the pet store is closed for New Year's holiday.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
pepper44":3a383 said:
When my beardie is ready to brumate he hides himself. The first time he did it was last year and I didn't realize it was supposed to happen, and I thought he was dead! He goes underneath of his basking platform in the darkest, coolest corner of the tank and curls up and doesn't move for several months.

He just woke up today...a month earlier than he did last year. We moved his cage, maybe that's why. He looks so pathetic right now. His skin is wrinkled and saggy! I bathed him and I have to go out and get him some salad. He'll have to wait a couple days for crickets or worms since the pet store is closed for New Year's holiday.

My girl appeared to be going into brumation.. but shes awake and wanting crickets and salad today. I can't imagine having my girl sleep for 3 months, thats crazy!

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":1e9f2 said:
4 of mine are down 4 months already. They usually wake around the 6 month mark! They are heavy sleepers. :D

They sleep 6 months !??!! whaaaaaaaaat ? :shock:

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
Original Poster
thats amazing! I think Pancake's body wants her to go down but shes fighting it. she seems sooo sleepy one minute then shes scratching at the glass to get out and wants to run around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom