How to keep phoenix worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i'm getting my first delivery of phoenix/soldier worms tomorrow, what do I feed them, do I dust them and how warm/cold does the temp need to be for them? Also what is the best container to keep them in and how many daily do you think I should feed a 5month beardie?

cr1chard

Keep them in the container they come in - they will last 2-3 weeks at room temperature. You can store them in a wine fridge for longer (I don't think they survive below 50 degrees) if you have the equipment. My beardie is about the same age, and eats anywhere from 30-50 throughout the day. I only dust them with his multi-vitamin when he needs at, as the worms are packed with calcium. A quick tip - phoenix worms stink of ammonia, and your beardie may not eat them - if this happens, rinse them in a bowl with some warm tap water. The packing material sinks to the bottom, the worms float, and they are super wriggly and enticing to your beardie.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
cr1chard":33cqvseo said:
The packing material sinks to the bottom, the worms float, and they are super wriggly and enticing to your beardie.

This, this, a million times this... Like beardie crack. Do you use any other feeders? If not you really ought to feed your beardie as much as they like. If other feeders are being used just figure out how to balance out. Basically, you're meant to give your litte guy (or gal) as much as they'll take in a fifteen minute period.

A note, they may molt if given time. Additionally, depending on the size you got some may turn stiff and black. Set them aside and DON'T toss them. They're still alive!! If you hold them under the warming light for ten or so seconds they wake up. The darker ones are actually older and higher in calcium. They're really fascinating creatures, and if you pinch them VERY gently between your fingers your warmth will wake them up. You can actually feel them wake up and start to move.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
I get around 500 every couple of weeks, I just store them in the containers they come in and they're fine for about a month.
My little guy is about 6 or 7 months old now, and tends to eat about 70 each day, 30 his first 2 feeding's, and about 10 before his evening sunbathe. Just see how many he wants to eat, if he carry's on eating them, carry on handing them out within the 15 minute time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom