How to heat up my tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 100 watt basking light from petco, and the reptisun 10.0. I am trying to get my bearded dragons cage to heat up, but the basking light doesn't seem to be doing the trick. It's 6" away from the basking log, so it should be pretty warm. I have a CHE, should I put that on? Will it still help with basking and food digestion? I also have another 75 watt bulb. I have a thermometer, but it's not digital and it doesn't have a probe, so I'm almost sure it's off. It's reading 80 degrees. HELP!!! What do I do? I don't have access to a car to get another bulb for a few days? What should I do? :banghead:

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
What size tank?
You still might be ok until you get the proper thermomiter depending on your tank size. My 20g stripe said 80* but when i got a digital it was around 93-94* with 100w but it dependson your tank size.

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
Do you have any house bulbs you can use? I ran into the same situation so a couple days until you can get to the store should be ok. If its a 55 g you might want to upgrade to a higher wattage fixture so you can use the 150w but I would get the proper thermomiter first so you can see what the actual temp is.

Robert0151

Original Poster
I only have the extra 75 watt bulb and the CHE. If I turn the "100 watt basking bulb" on, the 75 watt household bulb, and the CHE, would that be enough heat for basking AND digestion?

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
I would think so but i would be worried if it gets too hot since you dont have the proper thermomiter. I would keep two on instead of three until you can find out what its leveling at. Hopefully someone with a 55g can chime in that might be able to tell you what a 100 and 75 should level you at to give you peace of mind until you can make it to the store. I know how frustrating it is.

Robert0151

Original Poster
I'm just worried about digestion and her being able to bask. She's coming in the mail today, and I'm already starting off on the wrong foot! :cry:

Ranchero

Hatchling Member
I think the 100 and 75 is doing alot more then you think especially 6" from the basking spot. Even if its only a low 90 that will be just fine until you can do some adjusting. Is it a baby, juvenile, or adult?

RuselBro

Juvie Member
Ok, before you try to raise the temp or add anymore Light Bulb's, you need to buy a Digital Probe Thermometer! The Dial and Stick on therm can be up to 20 degree's off or more.

So really it say's it's 80 right now, it is for sure Higher than that, but you have no idea how high it is, 110, 120, even higher. You do Not want to cook your Beardie.

So get a Digital Probe Therm as soon as possible to get the Correct Temp's because they might actually be fine now, or might need to be adjusted a little higher or lower. The fact is you have no way of knowing without the Correct Thermometer.

Robert0151

Original Poster
Yes I'm excited, I'll post pics tonight. And I'll try to get a thermometer tomorrow... I feel so bad for buying that cheap bulb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom