How to get beardie to eat dubia out of bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTL1021

I put his roaches in a bowl and he just looks at me and won't touch them. He's the same way about his greens, the only way he will eat them is if I put them on the ground. Dubia's he normally eats one at a time off my hand or will eat a few if they get dropped in his cage but I really don't like doing that cause they run and hide. I've tried holding the bowl and he still won't eat out of it. Any suggestions? Please help. No one in the house will hand feed him except me so it gets really time consuming if I have to work over or have a busy day. The bowl I am using is about 3/4 inch tall ceramic that goes under really small flower pots. I got a 2" tall one but he's still small to use it and the roaches are small enough they can't get out of the shallow dish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dannysxu

Why don't you hand feed him and while doing so slowly lead him to where the food is, once your reach the food dish, shake the remaining dubias to get his attention and tease him with them until he trys eating them. Do that a few times and then drop them in the bowl and he should go for it.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I've got most of mine bowl trained, but they like to see the bugs move. I'll put two or three dubia in the bowl right in front of them, then chase the dubia with the tongs to get them to run around in the bowl. Once the dragons see the bugs run, they usually go after them and eventually learn to eat without making them move.

KTL1021

Original Poster
First 2 responses thank you do much for the ideas I will try these but someone please tell me how that last post related to anything on this site

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
tttl9769":3azzky1z said:
If you're working out at home the last thing you would like can be a lot of noise. Quiet elliptical machines perhaps the ideal solution for you. These have numerous positive aspects over other sorts of fitness equipment which are generally utilised at residence. Lebron James Shoes VIII
When you are at the healthclub or gym there's typically a whole lot of sounds going on that you simply do not genuinely notice. The music program playing inside the background nike dunks, common chatter and the sound of the numerous pieces of fitness equipment themselves.
Many men and women choose that they would like a fitness center at property and don't appreciate how diverse items could be. When you're pounding away on a treadmill at 6.30am it could suddenly seem much more noisy than it did within the fitness center.
The other members of your household as well as your neighbors could commence complaining. At this point you should start trying to find some equipment which is quiet but also offers you a superb function out. That is exactly where quiet elliptical machines come in.
Ellipticals have a smooth action so there is certainly none of the pounding which you get having a treadmill. This might be valuable if you're exercising in an apartment. They're able to also be used even though watching the Television and you will not disturb the rest with the family members.
The best good quality elliptical trainers produce much less noise. Quality items are made by Octane and Sole. These producers pride themselves on generating superior goods that last well and do not make a noise. Less costly machines are made from inferior components that will not result in such a smooth ride.
It is probably an excellent idea to try out numerous distinct makes prior to you buy. You can pay a visit to a fitness equipment showroom and trial numerous models. Then you'll be able to tell in case you are getting a quiet elliptical machine or perhaps a noisy monster which is going to have everyone complaining.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what is this... i don't even...

scm133

Juvie Member
KTL1021":3ru86v0t said:
I put his roaches in a bowl and he just looks at me and won't touch them. He's the same way about his greens, the only way he will eat them is if I put them on the ground. Dubia's he normally eats one at a time off my hand or will eat a few if they get dropped in his cage but I really don't like doing that cause they run and hide. I've tried holding the bowl and he still won't eat out of it. Any suggestions? Please help. No one in the house will hand feed him except me so it gets really time consuming if I have to work over or have a busy day. The bowl I am using is about 3/4 inch tall ceramic that goes under really small flower pots. I got a 2" tall one but he's still small to use it and the roaches are small enough they can't get out of the shallow dish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I got Hugo a stainless steel bowl from the Rio Reptile store, and it works great. He was not eating well out of a ceramic bowl. The SS bowl is 5" diameter and is 1.5" high. Too slippery for bugs to get out, and babies can get in it. :wink: Plus as they get bigger, it has a rubber bottom, so it will not tip over.

KTL1021

Original Poster
scm133":3c7z0oc1 said:
KTL1021":3c7z0oc1 said:
I got Hugo a stainless steel bowl from the Rio Reptile store, and it works great. He was not eating well out of a ceramic bowl. The SS bowl is 5" diameter and is 1.5" high. Too slippery for bugs to get out, and babies can get in it. :wink: Plus as they get bigger, it has a rubber bottom, so it will not tip over.

Where is the best spot to put it? Warm side? Cool side? Or in the middle?

scm133

Juvie Member
We have Hugo's bug bowl in the corner on the cool side, but he is able to see the bugs running around while sitting on his basking platform. But, you might put it closer to where he basks, so he will be sure and see the bugs. Something about the dubias running around in a shiny bowl, puts my little beardie into a feeding frenzy. :D

KTL1021

Original Poster
Well I've decide this morning he is just spoiled. I woke up a little late and he had pooped in his dubia bowl and was standing beside it waiting. As soon as i cleaned it out and put them in he grabbed 3 or 4 and then ran to the other side. He ate a few more hand fed then got aggravated. He looks like he might be starting to shed on his body. His tail and legs just shed a couple days ago. Should I just leave them in there since he knows where they are and stop hand feeding?

scm133

Juvie Member
Pre-shedding attitude...don't you love it!!! :twisted:
I think it will be fine to leave them in his dish. He will eat when hungry. He will probably not eat as well, as you would like, while going through "THE SHED". :D

KTL1021

Original Poster
Is it normal that he doesn't shed at the same time? It was body first then tail about a week later. Head and legs a couple weeks later and now I think body again. Lol

scm133

Juvie Member
KTL1021":mpbtpfdp said:
Is it normal that he doesn't shed at the same time? It was body first then tail about a week later. Head and legs a couple weeks later and now I think body again. Lol
Oh, yes...quite normal. Hugo always starts the shed on the tail, followed by the head and legs, and then the back is always last. While they are growing this can go on every month.

KTL1021

Original Poster
Well I guess his additude will fit in with the rest of the kids. Lol. 5 kids, husband, English bulldog, and shedding beardie all under 1 roof. Thanks I seem to worry about everything with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom