How to get BD to eat more greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Anyone have suggestions? Ollie doesn't seem to even touch his greens, and they're always fresh everyday. He loves his crix, so does anyone know how to slowly get him to pick at the salad just for a start? He's 5 months. I thought of putting the crickets inside his salad but they'd easily jump out. Let me know, thanks :D

binger

Hatchling Member
AndyAMP88":16163 said:
Anyone have suggestions? Ollie doesn't seem to even touch his greens, and they're always fresh everyday. He loves his crix, so does anyone know how to slowly get him to pick at the salad just for a start? He's 5 months. I thought of putting the crickets inside his salad but they'd easily jump out. Let me know, thanks :D

I feel your pain! My guys are just over a year old, and they were just starting to eat greens before the winter. Now... nothing. They could care less about their veggies....

Anyone?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
If all else fails bribe them. Try putting some wax worms or some kind of treat that they love in the salad. Anytime I want Scorch to try something new I put the new item in the food dish and then show him the treat to get him interested then let him see me put it in the dish. As he eats the treat he will usually get some of the new food in his mouth as well and decide, Hey that is not so bad. After doing that a couple times he will usually eat it on his own. Now he is eating salad w/ apple, pepper and carrot in with the dandylion greens when he used to turn his nose up to everything but the dandylion. If you want to use crix then wound them so they can't get out of dish. That may sound mean, :twisted: but he's gonna eat it anyway... Hope that helps.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":4c64f said:
If all else fails bribe them. Try putting some wax worms or some kind of treat that they love in the salad. Anytime I want Scorch to try something new I put the new item in the food dish and then show him the treat to get him interested then let him see me put it in the dish. As he eats the treat he will usually get some of the new food in his mouth as well and decide, Hey that is not so bad. After doing that a couple times he will usually eat it on his own. Now he is eating salad w/ apple, pepper and carrot in with the dandylion greens when he used to turn his nose up to everything but the dandylion. If you want to use crix then wound them so they can't get out of dish. That may sound mean, :twisted: but he's gonna eat it anyway... Hope that helps.
lol Okay I will try something similar. :)

Pamela

Hatchling Member
With Teaka i have to give her greens to her first or she will not eat them . So that really helped to jump start her. She still likes the cricks and supers more.

FoodMonster

My dragons are wild for sage I grow in my back garden (salvia-organic gardening). They were pretty indifferent to salad prior to that and started eating salad enthusiastically when I switched to the fresh sage leaves. They seem to very greatly prefer fresh dandelion from the farmer's market also. The farmer's market stuff seems to keep a lot longer than grocery store produce. They also like frozen mixed veggies (I don't serve hot or dripping wet and dice any big chunks) except for the green beans. They like finely diced red bell pepper. They like grated raw carrot. One of them loves a few kernels of cooked corn better than anything and the other doesn't. The other one loves a little bit of banana but the corn freak doesn't like banana. Just keep experimenting with safe foods until you hit on what they like. It seems like red, orange, or yellow colored veggies are attractive to my dragons so I mix a bit of something colorful in with mostly greens. Often I put a few mealworms in the salad because they stay in there and make the greens move mysteriously so the salad is more interesting for them. I eat more salad now too.

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pamela -
Yeah I tried doing that but he still ignores them until I feed him live food. I heard some people won't feed them any live food for a day until the BD is hungry enough to eat it's greens first. But that sounds cruel to me? lol

FoodMonster -
I will make sure I try assorted foods. He has tasted 3 kinds of greens I have provided thus far, but maybe he'd prefer a different kind. I'll figure something out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom