How to clean my dubia tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a dubia colony in a glass for about a year now. Originally, it was a pretty simple matter to periodically sweep the tank. Now, however, there are a ton of babies & they like to hide in accumulated feces. So, does anyone have a suggestion on how to facilitate cleaning?
Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Find a strainer that will allow the frass through but is small enough to prevent the babies from getting through.

Thats really the only way you can do it.

-Brandon

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":2xu65h99 said:
Find a strainer that will allow the frass through but is small enough to prevent the babies from getting through.

Thats really the only way you can do it.

-Brandon

Yup.

scm133

Juvie Member
Dawnzie":3889mxgn said:
Aren't there beetles that you can add to the colonies that eat the dead skin, and feces? Here is what I found so far http://westcoastroaches.com/?article=140, they talk about the Dermistid Beetles.
Yes, you are correct... they can find be purchased at WestCoastRoaches.com. That is where I got mine. They will clean up dead skin, left over food, and the feces.
I have had my Dubia colony since June, and they are thriving well. Some frass is actually good to keep in the bottom of bin for the new nymphs to hide. My new little Hugo loves them.. :D

Mavrick813

Hatchling Member
Trajega":299eyrs0 said:
Dermestids :) or "feeder cleaning crew". Just make sure you do your research first

What exactly would a person need to be researching about these beetles? is their a downside to keeping these guys? Things people should know about?

Mike

scm133

Juvie Member
Mavrick813":3ijr436n said:
Trajega":3ijr436n said:
Dermestids :) or "feeder cleaning crew". Just make sure you do your research first

What exactly would a person need to be researching about these beetles? is their a downside to keeping these guys? Things people should know about?

Mike
Mike, I do not know of a downside. I have had these in my dubia tub for 9 months, and they are doing a great job. I would also like to hear if there is any problems with them, also. :?:
Sally

Trajega

Hatchling Member
If a few escape, you may have to do a full extermination. They eat many common types of carpet / furniture (couch... chair). I have them as well, but I am VERY careful about a few getting away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom