How to Clean Fake Plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I'm cleaning the Jasper-Cave in preparation for the arrival of my new rescue. The enclosure itself is done, but there were a bunch of fake plants (some plastic, some silk) in there. I took them out, but I don't know how to clean them. Any suggestions?

MissT

BD.org Addict
For the plastic ones, I usually just use a vivarium disinfectant on them, steep them in warm (not boiling water) for a while then rinse them all off and hang to dry - Im not sure about the silk ones tho - mine completely fell apart when I followed the above method!!

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
my silk seemed to fall apart with that method too!

the things i can't bake i do just like above poster said..... i pour a bath of hot hot hot water and submerge them all with viv cleaner/disinfectant for about an hour and just leave it. rinse well with cold and hot water and back in!

congrats on your soon to be rescue! i know jasper would be proud of his mommy!!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad you are getting this female. I think it will be good for her and you, even tho it sounds like a LOT of work. Congratulations!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
what i do sometimes is i put the plants etc. in warm water with a little bleach in it for about half an hour and then rinse it really well.

just thought I'd offer a different way :wink:

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hey that great Sandi, Im glade your rescuing a new lil one!

I had a silky palm tree, it was a pain to clean because it had this sorta coconut treads around the bottom to make it look more realistic. I would just soak the top leaves in very hot water with a few drops of bleach too. You can also use that clorox anywhere spray, it has just the right amount of bleach so it wont bleach stuff out, but kills the germies. Let it set on there for a bit then rinse with hot water really good.

OH OH! I just thought of anouther good one! Put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle (70 %) , kills the germs wont bleach stuff out, and it is less harsh than bleach. It also is great for cleaning glass! This is what I use on my job sites to clean the glass we have installed. (it cuts the machine grease of of glass way better than anything)

Stac

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I still have some isopropyl alcohol left over from when I kept silkworms. Is that the same as rubbing alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom