How to best clean a cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hi All! My 10 yr olds lizard had a massivve shed last week and has started pooping in his cage occasionally (tho he hates to poop in his cage.) Shed pieces everywhere under carpet,etc. I take hot water on a paper towel to wipe down any poop left on his carpet. I bake his wood things 1-2x week at 250-300 degrees for 20-30 mins
Anyway, instead of carrying a 20 gallon long tank all the way around, when he is out of his cage with my daughter (his owner) what is the best way to clean out his cage? Is there a safe cleaner out there for him?

Tigg

Juvie Member
There is all kinds of cleaners specifically made for this avail at your local pet store, all of which are very expensive.

Best bet is diluted bleach... 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. this will ensure all bacteria is killed. Just make sure to dry it well at let it air out for a good 10 min before returning your BD to it's home.

Use diluted white vinegar to clean fingerprints and smudges from the glass... follow same steps as above.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i personally like my clorox bleach wipes followed up by a wipe with a hot wet rag, twice, just to rinse off any bleach left behind.

Quetico

Buy some Chlorhexidine. You can spray it on anything, and it's a great all purpose cleaner for animal use. You buy it in a concentrate and mix it in a spray bottle. Spray all surfaces in the cage and wipe off. No worries about leaving chemicals like bleach behind, and no odor. Look at the cleaning products link on Reptile Basics' page.

Why do you bake his wood decor?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I use a water and vinegar mix to clean my tank - it's safe for me and my dragon, cleans well, is natural, doesn't need to be rinsed off, and doesn't leave any obnoxious fumes behind once it has dried.

It depends on what your goal is though - I share the opinion that there's no need to maintain an absolutely sterile environment for your dragon as long as he's healthy and you maintain a basic level of cleanliness in the enclosure (i.e. clean up poop and other messes in a timely manner). It's normal for any animal to be exposed to some level of germs and it gives their immune system a bit of exercise. I think trying to have any creature live in a bubble as it were can be detrimental in some respects. With that in mind, I believe it's overkill to use bleach frequently or to constantly bake his tank furniture. Just my opinion though :) (and of course, if you're dealing with an ill animal or one who's immune system is compromised in some way, that's a different matter all together).

Tigg

Juvie Member
I totally agree with Catalyst on the going "Over Kill" on the cleaning, I should have mentioned that I use the water/vinegar maybe once a week just to keep the glass clean, the bleach cleaning I usually do once every 4-6 weeks. Other than that it's just the occasional wipe with a damp cloth mostly for fecal, calcium, or dropped greens.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks all. I wanted to add that the only reason I bake his wood items is 1) we were dealing with pinworms, so while on his meds, we tried to take good care of him, and 2) when he poops in his cage he tends to poop on the log, or the side of his food/water dish.
I should hear back from the vet today or tomorrow regarding his follow up fecal results (what is considered not necessary to treat?" If he still has the pinworms, should I then do the bleach thing? His carpet is washed in the dryer on gentle every 3rd day on the hot/cold cycle

What is the vinegar/water ratio and how do you all clean out their food dishes properly?

Tigg

Juvie Member
Vinegar CAN be used pure but since there is really no disinfecting characteristics you might as well dilute it half/half with water, it really just makes a good glass cleaner.

I would really reccomend using bleach or lysol to clean while trying to treat for pin worms. and keep up with the frequent baking of the wood since they are known for being a bacteria collector. You could also try soaking to wood in the same bleach solution while cleaning the tank out, just be sure it's rinsed really, really well.

What antibiotice did your vet reccomend? Panacur or Droncit? and did they also reccomend using a product such as acidophiliz+ along with the orals? some times the antibiotics can lead to future problems such as yellow fungus due to them clearing out even the natural healthy bacteria in the BD's stomach.

lilStewie

I have been using Nalvason that I purchased from beutifuldragons.com. It is aupposed to be non toxic for reptiles, and I personally love the product. Maybe give it a try!

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
"What antibiotice did your vet reccomend? Panacur or Droncit? and did they also reccomend using a product such as acidophiliz+ along with the orals? some times the antibiotics can lead to future problems such as yellow fungus due to them clearing out even the natural healthy bacteria in the BD's stomach"
------------------------------------
My old vet, who I wasnt all that impressed with when I tried to call for follow up questions, gave us panacur. We gave him 3 very small doses 10 days apart (I think the total dose). She said the extra probiotics wouldnt be needed.
the new vet (who has dealt with reptiles for many years(, said if I felt better I could but didnt have to since he was acting normal at the time). HAd he not had calcium issues the week before it would have been awhile before I got a fecal sample to the old vet as he gave no signs of any problems,etc.She gave me different signs and said if he continued to have issues with pinworms, then she would recommend it if he had to have antibiotics again.. This vet calls me back with every question, and so far she has confirmed everything that Tracie (drache)has always told me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom