how the heck do you make a lizzard drink!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livey

Extreme Poster
SOOO ...
I have tryed the syringe but nothing, i have yet to this day seen her drink from her dish,
I have 4 lizards, 2 beardie and 2 geckos, and i have only EVER seen Tango(the gecko) drink!
the last time i went to the vets, she said they look a liitle dehydrated,
They have HUGE bowels and i try to give them water from the syringe but they have all stoped taking it,
But i dont want to stop incase they arnt getting enough water,
i bath the beardie every day nearly
and the geckos only on occassion
any advice would be grately noted!
thanks in advance!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Very few dragons will drink form a dish, water bowls are really worthless to have in a dragon cage. If they won't drink in the bath then make them drink from a syringe.
Basti used to lick the syringe but now I have to pry his mouth open to get water in him. I also feed him a bit of romain mixed with other greens for extra water. If you can get silkies, they will help tons and try keep your greens wet.

AK3

my juvenile beardie was pretty stubborn for awhile, but now she drinks fine. i just use a small baby dropper filled with water. i drop some one her nose and then she just starts sticking her tongue out. every time she sticks it out i put a drop of water on it. when she is done she jumps off my hand. sometimes if she doesn't want to drink, i rub my finger under her chin and for some reason it makes her stick her tongue out. you could try that, or give her something sweet like v8 to start her out.

Callahan9119

Hatchling Member
Baths, they can get water through their vent, the rest is from foods.

They will lick droplets of water, but as far as a water dish...all they do is sit in it.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Olivia, getting them to drink can be difficult. I have to agree with Gail... try putting extra water on the veggies and the silkies do have a higher amount of moisture.
Over the years I have come to realize that bathing them is not ALWAYS the most adequate way to hydrate beardies. While yes they do absorb moisture through their vent, it may not always be enough for some beardies. I have heard of beardies who are bathed daily and can still become dehydrated.
I syringe feed water to both my beardies(which they don't always take). I try to make sure they get plenty of water on their greens as well.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
The stringe technique worked for a couple months of having her, but she has just given up,
i give both the beardies baths as neither will take it from the syringe now,
But i will defo start putting more water on her veggies
thanks eveyone :D

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
mine all only drik out of the tub and it's rarely done. The best way to to make sure their greens are wet. I also feed mine the occasional raspberry because they are nice and juicy.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I just got aload of fruit the other day, apple , grapes , strawberrys and waht not hopefully it helps

3bds

my don't like water. They especially hate tap water. They will gladly drink juice (apple, pear, grape) and occassionally, they'll drink bottle water.

Gail

BD.org Addict
If you do offer fruit juice, make sure its organic with no added sugar and water it down, half juice, half water. The sugar in fruits can cause diarrhea. I actually prefer pedialight or something like gatorade.
Have you tried pulling on their beard to open the mouth? Thats what I have to do with basti most of the time.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
when i went to the vets the vet did it, it looked to hurt though and dident really want to do it,
but i gunna have too when we get her parasites stuff, cos she gunna have to drink that!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
gulfbrzdawn":709d2 said:
Over the years I have come to realize that bathing them is not ALWAYS the most adequate way to hydrate beardies. While yes they do absorb moisture through their vent, it may not always be enough for some beardies. I have heard of beardies who are bathed daily and can still become dehydrated.

Out of our 6 we have one that i bathe every other day to every day and she still gets dehydrated sometimes. So i sprinkle water on their veggies and when giving them water i add a little bit of squash babyfood (all of mine go nuts for it) just for a little taste and smell and i can get a good 5 ml a day in her easy. Its mostly water just a tad of the babyfood. Other wise id never get it in her. Shes a stubborn grumpy little girl.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
haha thanks for that,
do you think if i mixed the antibiotics for her with something else she might drink it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom