How strict is the "space between the eyes" rule? Dubia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowball0807

Hatchling Member
Of course I know the space between the eyes rule, but due to getting 2 different orders of small roaches a month or so apart, I have very small dubia that don't fill my baby up, and larger roaches that are a bit bigger than the space between his eyes.
He is 11.5 inches long, and growing rapidly. Today I fed him a couple of the big ones and he chewed them up really well, but didn't seem to have a problem swallowing them. Is it okay to feed these to him?
Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd be cautious with them. If he stops pooing every day then you need to stop them.

-Brandon

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I'm in the same boat you are. I now have tiny, newly birthed nymphs, inch to inch and a half nymps, and lots and lots of adult males and females. Darwin is nearing 16" now, and I've been feeding him the smallest large nymphs I can find, and he chews them well. I always watch closely for signs of choking and feed him one at a time. He's had normal, daily poops since I've had to resort to this, though, and I'm constantly making sure his basking temp is around 105. Can't wait for those tiny nymphs to get bigger, it seems to take forever!

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
I just fed my guy his first full grown male dubia tonight. I already fed him 15 crickets so I wasn't sure if he would go for it. when I got near his viv with a full grown dubias in a clear plastic bag, I thought he was going to jump right through the glass. He chowed that thing down in not time flat. so then gave him another dozen crix and had to cut him off, started looking like a yellow tennis ball again... :wink:

Gail

BD.org Addict
Personally I feel that people are overly paranoid about the space between the eyes rule. Of course you don't want to feed too big of food but if a feeder is a little bit bigger then the eye space, its not going to cause a problem.
My little girl regularly eats dubia 1/4" larger then the space, when I feed the red runner roaches she can eat them even bigger since they are softer.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Thats great to know about the red runners. I'll have mine tomorrow. I was a little concerned how I would handle feeding them.

Gail

BD.org Addict
They are fast and will hide as soon as they hit the floor of the cage. I feed them in a deep dish with slick sides so they can't escape.

Snowball0807

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay. Thanks everyone :wink: . She's been having normal poops, so I think she's fine with the larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom