How soon oil works for constipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namipulla

My one-year-old female beardie seems to be really constipated. She has been straining for two days, like constantly just trying to push something out. She pooped a bit yesterday morning but didn't stop straining and now her cloaca is starting to swell from all the irritation, the tail side is hanging open a lot. I've given her 3-4 warm baths per day, yesterday and today, tried massaging her stomach and given both olive oil and liquid paraffin. In my experience the latter is the best trick when curing a bad blockage but I'd like ask how long it takes to pass through her system? She seems to be in distress, her beard is black and she isn't moving around much. Or she takes a few steps and starts straining again. I just gave her some apple purée. She still eats but I don't want to give her much food in case it worsens the block.

She just laid a clutch of eggs a month ago and then a few more 1,5 weeks ago. The eggs were infertile, she hasn't been in contact with a male. She might still have eggs inside of her but she hasn't been fasting or digging, which she usually does before laying.

I start to feel like I'm cursed. My male has been having problems the whole spring and now we're waiting for the results of adeno and reo virus tests. :( I had a healthy female before this egg laying started. I just got back from the vet with my male with a huge bill so it would really kill my wallet if I had to take my female there right away. :( Of course I'll take her if she doesn't get better but I'd like to try the home tricks first. Thank you anyone who has any suggestions!

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
For now keep up with the baths.. I've used vegetable oil, but normally takes 24 hours to see results.. I hope it works in her favor, let us know what happens..good luck..

Namipulla

Original Poster
Thank you for answering me! :)

Should I keep giving oil, too? I've given some yesterday and again today. Previously it's usually worked already. I seriously hope she's not trying to push out a giant egg. Her egg laying has been a little bit all over the place, it's her first time and she's so very young (turning 1 in three days). Does oil help pass eggs, too? She went to sleep a couple of hours ago and seems to have relaxed a bit. I'll bathe her again tomorrow.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....sorry about alll the beardie trouble ! Is there any reason the dragon would be constipated ? What is her set up, and is she kept on any sand/loose sustrate ? The reason I ask is that she could actually be eggbound. If so, it could be lethal....black beard, straining and lethargy are all signs. I certanly hope it's not.....an X-ray could let you know, and if she DID have stuck eggs she may need a shot of Oxytocin. Has she been eating well and getting lots of calcium by the way ? Poor girl [ and you :( ] , I hope she passes whatever it is soon !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
One more thing you can try, put some oil on a Q-tip and gently rub it on her vent. If you have honey you could warm it a tiny bit and add a little water to thin it and add it to the oil and dab it on her vent area. Honey can help reduce tissue swelling and the combination might [ hopefully ] lubricate her to help pass an egg. In reality, a trip to a qualified vet may be the best thing.

Namipulla

Original Poster
Hello and thanks for your advice!

Her setup is as follows:
150 cm x 60 cm / 59,1 x 23,6" tank (3 wooden walls with glass doors in the front)
Warm side: 110-113 F
Cool side: 78 F
Lighting: Arcadia 12 % D3+ tube, two regular tubes for light and a regular house bulb of 60W for basking.
Substrate: a camping mattress (the one they use underneath sleeping bags) and some ceramic tiles to keep her nails in check. No loose substrate atm.
Diet: Crickets, roaches, superworms and occasionally mealworms. Veggies: arugula, frisee salad, watercress, sprouts, butternut squash, carrots etc. Never cabbages, regular salads or such. Collard greens are not available in my country.
Humidity: 30-40 % depending if it's raining.

She eats practically everything I give her and she's very plump. Of course she stops eating before laying eggs but is always hungry afterwards. I've been giving her calcium like nobody's business. :D I dust the bugs and I've also given T-Rex Bone Aid liquid calcium (but unfortunately I ran out of it and my stupid country doesn't sell it anywhere).

She has always been very reluctant to drink so I think that couldn be a reason for constipation. She did get some mealworms a couple of days ago but those haven't been a problem before (but I know they can cause impaction). She did have sand before for a month or so. I removed it after I noticed she was pooping sand. She hasn't been on sand for a couple of moths now and her poop has been clean. Naturally I've given her a sand box to dig in when she's laid her eggs but I've removed the box right after. The first clutch of eggs was kinda sad looking, they were all sunken, but the next time the eggs were bigger and firmer. So yes, there's a possibility of egg binding. But today she looks better. Her vent looks normal, it's not hanging open or doesn't appear swollen. She's not straining anymore and she's very hungry now. Looks more like her normal self now. But I'll keep a close eye on her. And I'll give her baths today as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom