How old is your translucent? Over 5, 6, 7 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lele

Hatchling Member
I am curious to know if anyone has a translucent that is over 5, 6, 7... years old? I have had Darwin since he was just over 2 months (he is a Citrus Trans), hatched Feb 10th 2005. Yup the old guy is 8 1/2 years old.

I know everyone has been breeding them like crazy over the last several years, but I never see any older translucent ever mentioned - many don't make it. So I am curious to know what, if any, are out there and what sort of health problems others have run into.

Thanks,
lele

This were taken April 23rd 2005
8446782708_66bb838cf3_z.jpg

This Sept 28, 2005
9016804168_8c5d687949_c.jpg

lele

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Do you/did you have a translucent, Esther? My guess is that there have not been any replies to this because there are few, if any, who have lived this long. I often wonder if Darwin is the oldest. His brother died at about a year or maybe a year and a half (I did not have him, his "mom" did so this is just my memory going back 8 years) and his size & weight was really low. Darwin has had ongoing problems of one sort or another, mainly appetite, but now I think his sight might be failing in some way :(

I guess we will see if anyone ever replies...

Gail

BD.org Addict
Hello lele, nice to hear darwin is still with you. I remember you from kingsnake back when you first got him. I personally have never had a translucent but planned on getting a sub adult male a few years back.
My aunt had receive him in a trade and after discussing it with her, I was going to take him since she didn't care much for the trans. The day I went to her to get him, it was quite early and lights weren't on yet. As soon as they came on, I went in the dragon room to see my new boy and he was dead.
He was 100% normal the day before. Eating, headbobbing and active. He was a good weight and never showed any signs of illness. It looked like he went to bed and just never woke up.
That did it for me, as much as I like the look I'm convinced its not a healthy genes and I don't believe they should be bred. Especially with the amount of inbreeding a certain breeder who produces hundreds of them yearly does.
Give Darwin a pet for me :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
No, lele, I have never had one. I've just seen discussions here regarding their fragility and was wondering how many had made it to that age. I'm so glad that Darwin is still doing well.

lele

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":3m24irrn said:
Hello lele, nice to hear Darwin is still with you. I remember you from Kingsnake back when you first got him.

Hi Gail, Wow! Kingsnake :) Did you go by Gail or another username? Either way, that is very cool that you remember him. It has been up and down over the years and I often say he is only alive because he loves me and I love him. That's sad about the one from your Aunt. A necropsy would have been interesting especially his death so sudden, but with cost and finding someone with the expertise is something else :-/ Had she had him long?

When I posted the two baby pics showing his belly back in 2005 I got an email from a breeder offering me $600. No inquiry for other pics or even lineage. I am glad Darwin was "just my boy" and I was not tempted by the $. Maybe he has some "healthy" gene that has maintained him all these years, but frankly, I am glad it never got into the pool. His brother was obviously a different story.

Yesterday he ate about a dozen superworms - with gusto! Hardly ideal, but my feeling is that when he wants to eat -he can. My goal every summer is to have him go into the winter with good weight, each year it is tougher and tougher, but he (we?) somehow manage. He has been hand fed for about 7 1/2 of his 8 1/2 years.

Tracie was a big help recently suggesting milk thistle and he did seem to better after dosing him with it. Since it is mixed with Karo Syrup I do not do it daily, but if he begins to fade (fussy to the point of starvation) I begin again along with Serrapeptase (he will not eat silkworms -I have to dip them in squash baby food and fake him out, but he gets hip after just a few and gives me sidelong glances :x ).

Btw, Darwin's best friend died from a rare cancer last summer. You can see a little of their unusual story here

I hope all your beardies are strong and healthy!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Hmm, I think my kingsnake name was Waldo. I always remembered you because my first dragon was a week younger then darwin and darwin was the first trans I had ever seen. Sadly, my first guy Torque passed at 2 year from liver/kidney misses from a diet heavy in protein.
My aunt had only had her trans for a couple of weeks. Not sure of his bloodline but he appeared really healthy, we can only guess he had some sort of internal or organ malfunction.
You are a incredibly devote owner, I have no doubt that darwin wouldn't have survived this long without the handfeeding and extra care you provide. It is good he was never used for breeding even though it appears he may be one of the healthiest trans around. I really hope the trans fad goes away or people start to realize how unethical it is to breed a unhealthy mutation, regardless of how cool it looks.
I actually was dragonless for quite awhile, just recently picked up a juvie from craigslist and so far he is the healthiest dragon I've owned.

lele

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther19":q0inb8we said:
No, lele, I have never had one. I've just seen discussions here regarding their fragility and was wondering how many had made it to that age. I'm so glad that Darwin is still doing well.

Maybe not "well" but he is a trooper and an incredibly sweet (and tolerant) companion.

My guess is that this thread will be locked due to inactivity relatively soon. Doubt any breeder or keeper will be coming forth. Translucent are seen as "disposable" morphs, in my opinion.

lele

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":2nypkzbq said:
Hmm, I think my kingsnake name was Waldo. I always remembered you because my first dragon was a week younger then darwin and darwin was the first trans I had ever seen. Sadly, my first guy Torque passed at 2 year from liver/kidney misses from a diet heavy in protein.

Waldo & Torque definitely ring a bell! Early Kingsnake days were great; I think PHEve was the BD moderator. I don't know if the KS forums even still exist(?). I was mainly on the Chameleon forums as they were my first herps and went there to research/learn long before acquiring. I gained so much from them. Those forums were the place to go. I got Darwin from the same person I got my first "big" cham from (had pygmy first). I met her when I went to Florida one year - fun to meet people you only know on a forum and live almost 2000 miles away!

I work with a reptile rescue and education org. where I live. It's difficult to see so many come in the condition they are in and learn how they have been housed. STILL so much misinformation yet the pet trade has increased exponentially. We do the best we can to educate and inform, but it is hard when everyone wants designer animals and breeders keep developing them. We just do what we can. Always consider adopting from a rescue if you can.

lele & "kids"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom