How often should I handle them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baneakira

I have 2 baby beardies and was wondering how often I should take them out and handle them...I want them to get used to me and want me to hold them....but I'm so afraid of taking them out for long periods of time b/c of the heat....and I don't want them to get scared of me getting them out. It seems like they like to be out, they try and jump around on me and run around, not sure how often babys shoud be out? Any suggestions?

Gail

BD.org Addict
I usually take mine out 2 times a day but only for 10 minutes at a time. When they are older they can come out for much longer.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Age doesn't really play a factor. As long as they have ample basking time to digest and are getting sufficient UVB exposure, you can have them out as much as you like. Younger dragons are typically more curious about the world and will want to explore much more rather than be content just sitting on your lap.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
My beardie is 6 months old now and a couple of days ago I had her out with me for a good 12 hours. Boy, she was sure tired by the end of the day. She fell asleep on my shoulder on the way home :D

I would recommend holding them whenever you can possible so they can get to know you and the other way around.

carpedraconum

Hatchling Member
Curious is and understatement. I love taking Draco out to let him explore, cause he takes the daredevil approach. He takes running leaps off the bed onto the carpet, or up to anything he thinks he can grip. IT is funny seeing him try to jump up the wall and slide back down. But I handle my guy and girl whenever they are scratching at the walls. if they want to escape, they should be given the chance to explore, but I leave them alone for the hour before and after eating so they have time to digest.

Drew

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
There's a direct correlation between egg-binding and animals that are kept in too small cages and, thus, not allow to exercise their muscles. When they walk and run around, it strength the muscles because they use them. This apparently helps them push out the eggs. If you don't use the muscles, it will wither down. :)

baneakira

Original Poster
They are in a fairly large tank right now for their size. Should they be in something big enough that they will be in when they are full grown? Could this be why she is acting weird, b/c she feels limited with space? I'm trying to get as much advice as possible, I am still learning alot about these animals and its very hard still to read their behavior and actions. Keep the tips coming b/c everything that you all are giving me is VERY helpful!!! Thanks so much!! :)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I use a 150 gallon breeder for my two fully grown females. You can have multiple basking spots, like a couple, with something that large in case the other one is using it, so they can fully bask better independently. With room that big they can get away from each, like taking breaks, if they chose to do so. You can decorate it anyway you want just use your imagination. I like to provide something for them to climb on and perch to bask or sleep.... this way it will strengthen their muscle if they can climb up something and hang on while sleeping or basking.

baneakira

Original Poster
Yea I really want to get them a huge tank like that but they are soooo expensive...n i thought for right now they could be in something smaller. I would really like to build one myself but really don't where I would even begin and have no idea cost wise what I would be looking at.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
It is typically not advised to house more than one beardie in each viv. If both of yours are female and are both very young, they may grow accustom to each other and you'd have no problems, but even then you're taking a risk.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
They seem fine, though. I do keep an eye on them, but they haven't shown any sign of aggressive posturings and gestures. And the other one is a little over a year younger, but they are both fully mature....

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
I've just heard too many horror stories. Everything fine for years, then one day owner came home and the two dragons had gotten into a fight and one was dead, other was in pretty bad shape.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I agree, even though your dragons seem very comfortable with each other, it can happen & has, even with mature beardies. You can get a 40 gallon breeder reptile tank for about $100 or less. You can find them listed on Craig's list, tanks of all sizes for alot less, too. We have 5 dragons and they're all housed in their own tanks. It just seemed better to not take any chances.

Deb

baneakira

Original Poster
Yea I've been looking at craigslist and there is some nice stuff for really good deals. I still want to make them one but not just yet.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I got my 150 gallon at a discount.... It only cost me 174 dollars, brand new. but you can build one for about that much with the right materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom