How often should he be shedding and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsarah

my dragon hasnt shed AT ALL since I brought him home back in october. Has he reached his growth limit? He's 16 inches long from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. I don't know how old he is and I keep him hydrated and bath him regularly.

Also, he refuses to "go" unless its outside or in the bathtub. Which is fine by me, I hate scooping poop, but should I be worried if he doesnt go everyday? He'll sometimes go for about a week before passing anything.

How do I get him to eat something other than live food? He'll eat the tomato plant that grows outside but only if he gets to pull it himself. I tried pulling some and sticking it in front of him and he's not interested. No fruits, no veggies, no pellets. He's very finicky. I even tried making a moving salad by chopping up a bunch of greens and tossing it with mealworms and tiny chunks of melon, he ate the mealworms and let the melon and greens dry out in the bowl.

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
16inches maybe his growth limit. Try not feeding him his live food and just offering salad, he will get hungray enough to eat his salad then realize its not so bad. You have to train these little buggers or else they do how they please even if it isnt the best for them. My older guy doesnt poop everyday but as soon as I put him in the bath he sure does. You could try bathing him ocne a day if your worried he will probably poop everyday. Adult beardies should only be fed 30-50 live feeders a week and the rest greens so its best you try and starve him to eat his greens. That as long as he is over a year old. I am assuming he is an adult.

I hope that helps

imsarah

Original Poster
How long should I wait before caving in and giving him feeders again? I just tossed like 10 crickets in there the other day and theres two left that he's ignoring or they're just really good at evading him.

What are some tasty fruits and veggies I could start with? So far I just bring home watermelon and cantaloupe from work and they just dry up waiting for him to take interest. Ive seen those vibrating dishes at petsmart, would that help with getting him to notice the food? I sat there waving a stalk of collard greens in his face for like 10 minutes one day and he just got irritated with me and took a snap at it. Yeah he ate it, but I'd rather not have to irritate him regularly just to get him to try something new.

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
imsarah":90ea6 said:
How long should I wait before caving in and giving him feeders again? I just tossed like 10 crickets in there the other day and theres two left that he's ignoring or they're just really good at evading him.

What are some tasty fruits and veggies I could start with? So far I just bring home watermelon and cantaloupe from work and they just dry up waiting for him to take interest. Ive seen those vibrating dishes at petsmart, would that help with getting him to notice the food? I sat there waving a stalk of collard greens in his face for like 10 minutes one day and he just got irritated with me and took a snap at it. Yeah he ate it, but I'd rather not have to irritate him regularly just to get him to try something new.

Dragons can go sometime without food. Remember he wont let himself starve so if you just have greens in his enclosure and he gets hungrey enough he will eat them. Here is a very helpful chart of what is good ingredients for a salad. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html I personally use endive leaves and any type of squash that I can get my hands on; chop it up real small with one of those "onion" choppers. My adult dragon Blaze wont eat it unless it is small. He likes acron squash the most but switching it up helps. They get bored easily.

Dont leave crickets in his enclosure any longer than 15 minutes, it stresses them out and the crickets can feed on the beardies which in worst case scenarios can cause a hole to develop.

The vibartating dish may work it also may scare him. I know that blaze will notice the greens just from the bowl I use, as soon as he sees it he knows he is getting fed. I also put a couple of butterworms in it.

You may want to check up on your lighting to make sure it is right, wrong lighting can do a world of hurt. Search the lighting forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom