how often can they lay eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, she is small. Always seems to be low on energy. She gets plenty of vitties but just doesn't seem to have much pep. She has good days and so-so days.
After talking with the vet Tuesday, we have decided to see if she's going to produce a 3rd clutch of eggs. If she does....fine. If not...fine but mid January she gets her blood and fecal work done and if all is ok we are going to go ahead and get her spayed. I asked about the risks, the vet told there all always risks but that 95% of them pull through just fine.
The vet's concern is wiether or not Athena will be a chronic egg layer. She said that constant egg laying will wear her down over time and that problems are sure to develop in the future. She said that we would have to weigh to odds. If we do get her fixed then there's a slight surgical risk. If we leave her be, there's the long term risk of wear & tear on Athena. I want Athena to be healthy and happy. I don't want her feeling weighed down with eggs all the time. I wish she was as healthy and energetic as Apollo, our male so we have opted to go ahead with the spaying in late Jan./early Feb. I personally hate having to alter her from the way God made her. But if it means that Athena can live a happier full life, then I'll do it. Besides, I feel horrible when I have to take her eggs from her. My wife and I simply don't have the time or money to raise babys. The pet chains and private shops only deal with licenced breeders. So we have no choice but to freeze the eggs. I chose to bury them. I guess it makes it a little easier knowing that her eggs are given back to the earth....I guess.
Overall though, Athena is doing alright. She eats, she poops. Doesn't get black very much. Oh...and she started shedding on her front legs today. I haven't seen her shed in a long time. Today was a good day for her. She was more energetic than most days and made Christmas just that much better. Found out today that she loooooves corn.
Thank for taking the time to reply. I tend to ramble at times but it helps to get outside opinions. All opinions & advise is welcomed from anyone. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

gwoody

Hi there, sorry I disappeared on you. I've been sick since just before x-mas and of course that means too many things to do and catch up on.
saw your vet report. Well so Has she had her surgery yet? Or when will it be?
Did the vet think it had anything to do w/ her size at all?
My girl is also continuing to have clutches. Non are viable. But I had hoped she would stop after a while too. Did your vet elaborate much on that subject as to the reasons etc.. If the surgery is still to come best wishes. Let us know how it goes.

Hey Woody,
First off, I hope you're feeling better. Second, Athena had her surgery this past Wednesday. She just got home yesturday. The last time I posted was on the 25th. Since then Athena layed 18 eggs on Jan. 6th. and then 21 eggs 2 weeks later on the 20th. That makes her 4th laying over the last 3 months, about 76 eggs so far. After her last laying, we decided that it was time to get her fixed and we made her appointment right away.
The vet said since females can produce their own eggs, some may be chronic egg layers. The vet showed us the ovaries and Athena had already started producing more eggs. Every time she lays eggs, it takes a little more out of her and would have shorten her life span greatly. So the layings are no longer an issue. No more digging and glass dancing. Now she can have a happy carefree life.
She was at the vet's for 3 days. 1st for her blood test, x-rays and pre-surgery fluids. 2nd day, she went in for surgery. And the vet kept her for a 3rd day just to monitor her condition. Athena is doing fine. Other than the sutures on her belly, you'd never know she had organs removed.
It was quite costly. 200.00 for the tests and 516.00 for the surgery. We know that we could have bought 5-6 beardies with that much money but Athena is worth it. We plan to have her a long time so the money doesn't matter.
So to bring this to a close, Athena is on pain meds for the next 4 days and antibiotics the next six weeks and liquid calcium once a day for the next 2 weeks. She loves taking her meds...all flavored syrups. She's a trooper.
The odd thing is that Athena will be a year old on March 25th. She's too young to have had those eggs.
Watch yourfemale, constant eggs laying is really hard on them. There is a greater risk with lizards and compared to dogs & cats. But we thought it was better to take the chance of her dying in her sleep during surgery than spend the rest of her life dying slowly from constant labor.
She's doing well and we anticipate and full recovery. It's good to have her home. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom