How often and how much should they eat???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We kinda got a bearded dragon given to us and really don't know much of anything about them. Have read some on here but he's nothing like the iguana I have who eats likes a cow......hahaha. We have been giving the dragon greens like I have read and some crickets but it doesn't seem like he eats hardly anything at all. Can someone give me an idea of how much they should eat and if it's only once a day, twice a day or what? Also I think he has only pooped once in about a week, could something be wrong or is that ok if he's not eating much???

Hi,

It all depends on your beardie. Could you please post additional information, e.g. (assumed) age, current housing incl. lightsource/temp, previous housing etc.?

Dragons are mostly desert lizards, but as juvenile, they also go in semi-arid woodlands. Therefore, they need quite a bit of exposure to UVA/B rays, and a good temp in order to function well. Also, they need a cooler place (hiding place) where they can sleep and hide from the heat. It might be that the handing over was a bit stressy for the beard.

I think here is a nice feeding schedule to start with. The "50 feeders" is, I presume, based on crickets. If you give other insects as well, it depends on the size and nutritional value of the insects. Also, offer daily a small bowl of fresh salad and water and let it in the tank during the night. Feed your beardie somewhere during the day, but not when the temp is at its highest level for they will not like to hunt when it is too hot. Also, not just before evening, while beardies need the heat to digest.

You can give the beardie a (hand)warm bath. It will help to empty the bowels.

When you click here, you will find an extended care sheet. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Cheers,
J.

TamithaSue41

Original Poster
We were told he is about 2 years old. Current housing is a 50 gallon tank. We have a UVB light with temps about 98 and then the cooler side at night is about 78. We have had him almost a month so not sure if the handing over would still be making him stressed but I don't really know.

We give crickets but heard it was best to feed more greens so we only give a few crickets a few times a week and try to give greens every day in the morning but he doesn't seem to eat them every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom