how often and how bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know quite how to phrase my question about poop. So, here goes. 1. How often should they poop and 2/ I've read some people say that when a beardie is sick, there poop smells bad. So is that worse than normal. Scales' poop smells like, well, poop. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to be watching for anything. He poops about twice a day. He's eating silk worms, hornworms, crickets, and veggies. Thanks in advance!

That seems like a very valid question. I am at work right now and I have a couple of pretty good books on beardies with me. Let me have a quick check and I will advise you.

There didn't appear to be anything in the book that would relate to how many times they are going to deficate. I guess it just depends on how much they eat.....what goes in must come out I guess. I will read some more.

Just some brief reading states that the amount of defication is directly related to the amount of food they are getting. If they are not deficating in correlation to the amount of food they are eating then there must be something else going on. I would think that if your beardie is not deficating enough and is getting copiuos amounts of food then they must not be digesting properly. There may be other factors at play here.

One thing you might want to do if you suspect foul play is check the stool for worms. I think that might be cause for alarm if your beardie is not pooping right ad you suspect a digestive problem.

bluejen1313

Original Poster
Thanks so mmarks and he seems active enough. So I bet he's fine, uch for the info! He eats a lot of worms and a lot of crickets twice a day, so I guess defecating twice a day is probably fine. No stress marks and appropriately active so I think we're ok. Thanks again!

gogga

Juvie Member
There isnt a rule as to how often they should poop.

Mine poops once a day, if shedding she goes every other day.
She has also gone twice a day, but not really that often.

You should worry when they DONT poop for about 3-4 days. Poop = no impactation and the digestive system is working fine.

As for smelly, yeah poop stinks, but when it is really bad, like you can smell it across the room when they go, that is an indication of something wrong and then get a fecal done. Also check what the poop looks like. Is it well formed with a white part (Urates) and the brown/green part (POOP). sometimes if they are really well hydrated there is a liquid part too, but it should be colourless.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom