How much should she be eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just rescued our very first Beardie, a sweet girl we named Zoi, and are loving her. We are pretty sure she's full grown. But neither of us has ever owned a non-furry critter, so we are super new at this.

She doesn't eat very much, a few pieces of greens/fruit. It might add up to one mouthful for me. Is this a normal amount? She's pooping regularly, and doesn't seem dehydrated. I know she can pack away crickets, my husband put her in with a bunch and she took down 25 in 15 minutes.

I've never worried this much about a pet in my life.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much.

Keep in mind this is a reptile that operates mainly on instinct, response to stimulus and survival needs. So it will eat before starving to death unless something is very wrong.
And the main things that could be wrong are lighting and temperature, so get those things worked out first.

Then just give it some time and your beardie will likely settle in and start eating more regularly. Remember that adults will/should be eating more greens than proteins.

If the BD becomes lethargic, with proper light and heat, and continues to eat nothing or very little and/or its poop is very wet and runny then there might be a health problem that a vet would need to address. But I'd give it some time.

FWIW, my rescued BD was not well taken care of, had inadequate lighting and diet, and didn't really move off its basking log when we first got him. He went two weeks without eating much and only pooped twice during that time. Then within days of getting the light and heat gradients correct and a better diet he perked up, started eating and pooping every day, and seems to have literally come to life.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
I share your question.

Lizzie is also a rescue I found on the road and my first ever non furry creature.
She is about 1 yr old (6mo-1 yr) and is 14 inches long and I feed her 20 large dusted crickets per day as well as collard greens/kale/mustard greens daily and reptipellets.

I sometimes feel from reading around that I should be feeding her tons more ....I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom