HOW MUCH???? :-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmyandVael

Hi Everybody!

I'm Hoping you can do me a favor and tell me how much it costs you to go to the vet and give your beardies a check up and get a fecal done. I'm looking for input from everywhere! Canada, US, Europe, Where ever you are.

Apparently for me to get mine done is $90each(x2 dragons) + about $40 in gas to get there

$220!!! NOT including any taxes they charge us!!

So how much are your vet bills?

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
HI! Well the vet I go to now, who is much more knowledgeable and experienced in beardies IMO (than the one I started with). Each exotic vet visit--full look over runs $65. Then it is $25 for the fecal. So, $90 per exotic pet. Yours sure does seem expensive but then another place I would go to they charge $88 for the office visit and $40 for the feacl for 128.
Hope this helps some. Oh and I am in Eastern Pennsylvania

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I'm in California USA I have paid between $50 and $80 for exams and $25 to $32 for fecal testing.
I too have to pay a fortune with 9 beardies though my vet gives me a 15% discount for having so many.
Finding a good herp vet isn't easy...we don't have one within 100 miles of us. :(

speedysmom

Last time we took Speedy (about 16 months ago) it was about $60---and a 50 minute drive each way. Where are you? I find larger city vets charge more but sometimes that's your only choice to find someone who sees reptiles. OTOH, to take our cat to a vet here for her yearly check-up costs a bit over $100 so it would be similiar to the price you've been quoted for your beardies.

Tanya

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
I live in Port Hope which is 2 hours east of Toronto the closest 'herp vet' is in Trenton (that we know of) which is about an hour east of here.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Well i thought i was hard done by with a 10min taxi ride!!

The vet i got to charges depend on how long of your 30 min app you use, but it will never come to more than 30 for a full check. The feacal test is either free, or a few pounds.

Again any antibiotics or shots are charged per ml given, the most i ever paid was £45, but that was two weeks worth of two antibiotics, a feacal and a full check over.

Plus £15 for taxies both ways.,
I guess i got it good over here!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
it costs me 40 for the office visit and 10 for a fecal exam of course my dr. is the only exotics vet in town but is used to dealing with horses dogs and cats (farm town near him) so he isnt expensive and thank god for him.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I think that when I last took 2 in, it was around $45 for first animal, and $35 for second. And I think the fecals are about $25.

I took just one of mine recently, and had a full check up for him, and also took fecals from my other 2 beardies. So visit and 3 fecals was just over $100. I have to drive about 2 hours to get there.

bjvolk2

Wow that's crazy!! We took Tyson to the same vet my dogs have gone to for years. She sees all exotics for $45 or so including the fecal. And if it's the same as our dogs a nail trim is free with an exam ($10.50 regularly). I live near Louisville, KY

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
For me it's $55 for an (exotic) office visit and $18 for a fecal.

I feel bad for all of you that have to drive so far to a vet. I guess I'm fortunate, mine is 5 minutes down the road from me.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
We can get a fecal done locally, but it's still around $85 plus $45 or so for the checkup. The only real checkup we can get is about 100 miles away at the $45 cost. The fecal there is about $10 more than it is locally. I haven't tried any other vets in that area. In our local area there are no vets that specialize in beardies. There is one that "sees" beardies but I don't think he knows very much about them.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
I work at a vet (im a vet tech) and there are a bunch of things that go into costs. Its not uncommon for Reptile exams to be very expensive because they just arnt that common. It takes a lot of training to deal with them, they are small, they are fragile and they take a lot of special equipment that isnt used often, making it more expensive just for the clinic to have available to you. Also, the drugs and medications are very specific, and expensive and since there are not a lot of people out there who take their reptiles to the vet, the drugs expire before they can be used up, so the vet has to recoup the cost somehow. Its one of the things that we all need to take into account when getting reptiles...vet care is hard to find, and good vet care is expensive.
Also remeber that you get what you pay for...I personally would never go to a cheap vet because I know they cut corners...its a fact. And the corners they cut are usually in pain control, proper equipment maintainance and reusing things between patients. Take it from me, the guy with the inside scoop...save up for your pets and go to a good vet. My pets have their own bank account that I put money in every paycheck because I see every day animals not getting the treatments they need and even dying because their owners werent able and not prepared to pay the vet bill.
Good luck and I hope this helps shed some light on why it was pricy.
Aaron

rin0425

Hatchling Member
as an addendum...I dont mean to say that all inexpensive vets are cutting corners...but many are...those who see lots of reptiles or havea booming practice tend to be less expensive...i dont want to get blasted by people who think im bashing vets lol

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Lol i know!!

The vet i see is the only one in the area, so sees ALOT of reptiles. I think thats why the cost are cheaper, perhaps it something to do with being this side of the pond also??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom