How much is a baby supposed to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheese

I recently picked up a baby dragon. I've been feeding her canned crickets and grub pie along with some butternut squash. I can only feed canned and grub pie as I must keep them outside and the circkets are so noisy and smelly, and just end up dying or something. She is very small, 19 grams and only 7.5" approx. Not sure how old she is but she was originally from petsmart. I was wondering how many crickets she can actually eat? Shes been eating 0.5-1" crickets and she ate about 10 yesterday along with a bit of squash and her belly feels full. It's kind of soft and squishy and not the empty feeling. She pooped yesterday in the bath as well. This morning she refused to eat anything. I offered some to her and she just spat it back out. I was wondering maybe she is still full? I was told babies should be eating 20+ but I dont see how 20 can fit in her tiny tummy. It is only 11AM and her lights been on for 2 hours. She's been basking all this time. I have a 75W lamp and her spot gets up to 105F. Other side of the tank (to the corner) is usually just about 70-75 and she sleeps there at night. I just picked up a reptisun T5 HO 10.0 UV tube and it is 22". She ate a few dusted crickets yesterday, multivit and calcium. Maybe she still needs some time to digest her food from yesterday? Should I be worried about the amount of crickets she's been having or her spitting food out? Thanks, just kind of worried. She is alert and was watching me put food in her tank but just wasnt interestes in eating any.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
BABIES NEED LIVE FOOD. It is not an option - they need it. Canned is not good. If you don't like crickets, there are other options. Try dubia roaches, silkworms, or phoenix worms.

MrCheese

Original Poster
I cannot keep those alive as I MUST keep them outside. The temperatures fluctuate here and will kill them. I am unable to get any locally and are very expensive to be shipped over. Dubias are also illegal here and I can't keep them. I know many who have raised their beardies with grub pie and their beardies grew up healthy and strong. I was just wondering the amount she should be eating.

Edit; I just offered her a few and she ate them. I guess she needed some time to digest. I don't know how much she is supposed to eat though.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
MrCheese":fik9waza said:
I cannot keep those alive as I MUST keep them outside. The temperatures fluctuate here and will kill them. I am unable to get any locally and are very expensive to be shipped over. Dubias are also illegal here and I can't keep them. I know many who have raised their beardies with grub pie and their beardies grew up healthy and strong. I was just wondering the amount she should be eating.

Edit; I just offered her a few and she ate them. I guess she needed some time to digest. I don't know how much she is supposed to eat though.

Please try silkworms or phoenix worms- why would they need to be kept outside?? They are small and harmless

MrCheese

Original Poster
JessPets":1xt9uue6 said:
MrCheese":1xt9uue6 said:

Please try silkworms or phoenix worms- why would they need to be kept outside?? They are small and harmless

I am not allowed to keep any insects indoors (no matter how big or small). She's been gaining weight everyday and has grown a bit since I got her. I'm not asking about the food and she enjoys them and has been doing well on them, I just want to know how much she is supposed to eat (or how much she can) so that I know she's eating enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom