How much food is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chompster

So in the last few months, my bearded dragon Chomper hardly eats any more. He's about 1 year 2 months old, and seems very healthy. We got blood work done a few months ago. He's about 630 grams and hasn't been losing weight. He rarely naps (though we catch him closing his eyes a little in the evening) and he is very alert and active when taken out, though tends to be really lazy otherwise.

He stopped eating crickets when he was pretty young and wanted dubias all the time. After awhile he stopped the roaches completely, only wanting superworms. It's all we can get him to eat now, but he only eats a couple every few days. We make him a fresh salad every day (collards, endives, chicory, mustard greens, swiss chard, etc) and he seems to nibble at it but never eats a ton. He will rarely eat fruit when offered, and usually only eats a bite or two. He also only poops once a week, in the bath (not surprising, since he doesn't eat much!) We have tried going back to crickets, roaches, and even offer waxworms on occasion.. but nothing makes him happy!

9LKVdlV.jpg

558196_10151822638571286_1087875019_n.jpg

(An older pic).

His blood work has been fine, we recently took him to the vet fearing that he had a respiratory infection (he had some throat popping and mouth opening, but we think it was a threat thing as he was around a dog at the time) and everything was fine. He needs a fecal exam soon but I don't think he is impacted or anything.

Is this just a phase? I am seriously worried about him even though he is very active when we let him out and always seems alert!

zaxon

What region are you living in? Dragons go into brumation in winter, where things such as excessive sleeping and lower appetite occur. However they can go into brumation during other times of the year also. My dragon is very fussy, too. He will eat only bok choy and carrot. And for live food, he used to eat crickets and meal worms but now he will only take superworms!

Chompster

Original Poster
I live in New England. I figured some fresh air and sunlight would do him well, but he gets really scared outside and tries to dig into the grass! We still need to work with him so he's not so afraid!

We will have to keep trying different foods. So fussy!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
He doesn't look skinny at all ;) he may just not need a lot of food. Especially of he is less active most if the time he won't need as many calories to keep everything going. If his bloodwork came back all clear he may just be eating what he needs.

Some dragons can develop a preference for superworms and snub other feeders.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Haha, your beardie is fatter than Harley. Harley is 17.5 inches and 610g and has pretty much the same routine as yours. She does her little bubble popping when she sleeps on me which I was told by someone else on this forum all theirs do it too and it seems to be a happiness thing. Harley is the same as she only eats about 3 dubias a day(that's what I limit her to since she's overweight) and she will eat a few pieces of collard green or mustard greens. She too is alert but is like a pet rock. She loves to stretch out on the top of the couch back and just watch tv or us. I pretty much have come to the conclusion tater stated, being so fat and not active means they don't need the calorie intake so they just kind of nibble on stuff.

Even funnier is Harley too is scared of the outdoors unless I'm holding her. Then she will climb up under my chin and peek out the sides to look at stuff, mostly the trees waving in the wind. Try to hold him and see if he feels more secure. It's so funny, your dragon is like the exact version Harley but a guy :p

FloraBelle

Hi,
I'm glad you posted this.. I am having the same issue with my beardie... his appetite has fallen off quite a bit, and for the past few days has eaten very little. He is extremely fussy... about the only thing he will eat consistently and with no questions asked are the freshly molted white dubia. Problem is that I usually only get one or two at a time out of my colony.. and some days there aren't any good sized white ones at all. He loves wax worms, too, but I am afraid to give him too many of them (although I do get desperate sometimes).
I would like to order some BSFL for him (he loved them when he was smaller), but I live in southern Nevada and it's too hot to have anything living shipped here this time of year. He also loves horn worms, and I am getting him some of those on Weds. He isn't big on superworms or crickets. He will pick at his greens, but doesn't seem to like anything other than the turnip, collard or mustard greens themselves.. I've tried a variety of berries, melon, apples, several types of squash, carrots, peas, and many other things. He will taste them, but usually just turns his head away after tasting them.

I thought it was beardie adolescence, and it may be... but I am still worried about him. He is six months old, 17 inches in length and approximately 320 grams.

I am also concerned that he is getting a bit dehydrated. I bathe him frequently, but I can't get him to drink anything in the bath or by dripping water or water/fruit juice mixes on his nose. He looks at me like I am trying to poison him if I try to give him diluted pedialyte or gatorade. How do you all give your beardies water or fluids if they won't take them on their own? How can you tell if they are dehydrated?

My set-up is good... although I do have a question.. since my beardie is six months old now, should I lower his enclosure and basking temps? How long do the reptisun 10.0 HO bulbs last? What about vitamins and calcium... have been doing 5 days calcium and 2 days vitamins (although sometimes he licks the bugs and if he tastes the powder, he will not eat it). Thanks!

PS What is the bubble popping thing? I don't think mine does that.. but he loves to sleep on me (I think...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom