How many lights do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ses2682

Hello Everyone!
I need some input because I have been having problems getting the right temp in the viv. I am borrowing a neighbors 33 gallon tank to house my baby beardie until he gets bigger and I build his new viv. Originally, when I didn't know better, I used black fish gravel as a substrate in the cage..I had a thick layer across it. Just a couple days ago I posted a picture of my beardie and got the input that the gravel could be dangerous and he might ingest it. So I took it out, and last night I brought home two slate tiles for the bottom of the enclosure instead. Since I brought Leroy home at the end of Feb...I have bought multiple basking light wattages to try to eat his home...I have read this tank would be hard to heat because it is 22 high/12 wide and 24 long. When I had the gravel in...the basking spot stayed at about upper 90's...now when the loss of the gravel it's all messed up.
I have a black screen across almost all the top of the cage..and then the Reptisun 10.0 across the width of the cage ( so it's not having to rest on the screen and get blocked out) where he basks on a tall piece of wood that brings him about 10 inches from the Reptisun. Then the basking light is next to the tall branch but not directly over it because I read somewhere 10 inches would be too close for the basking light but the Reptisun can't be more then 10 to 12 inches from the beardie. This worked fine when I had the gravel...it kept every thing nice and warm basking spot upper 90s with a 100w Zoo med basking light, the cool side being in the upper 70's. Now with the slate in there the basking spot is barely getting to 90. At night time Ive been using just a plan 75 watt red bulb to keep the temps in the 70s at night.
From trial and error in the beginning of set up... I have 3 basking bulb wattages... 150,100 and 75 all zoo meds... ( Oh and I also ordered a 100w heat emitter a couple days ago for night time..but I probably could use it all the time...) So my question is... now that you have an idea of what my beardies enclosure looks like and what I am working with.. I need some help figuring out which bulbs I should use to get the right heat gradient ...I am using one of those zoo med digital therms with a probe to read temps...
Anyone have any experience heating a really tall tank?

ses2682

Original Poster
Maybe I am just being impatient.. I just turned his lights on about 30 mins ago and the basking spot is 90.5...I have the 150w in right now..

better question.. how long should it take to get to the correct temp for the day?

ses2682

Original Poster
Well I tried the 150w and the 100 watt and that was too hot... got to 119...so now I am trying the 100w and the 75w... it's 95.2 right now...slowly climbing I think. I guess it was more trial and error..

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Yes, alot of trial and error: That's what I've been doing the last couple weeks getting the enclosure ready for Luther. We have a 40 gallon breeder and at first I put in a 100 watt light and the basking spot shot past 120 degrees. So, then I changed the bulb to 60 watt and it seems to be right. There are many variables involved such as room temperature, near a window or not, substrate can probably make a difference, wattage and distance from the bulb. I think on here the recommended basking temperatures are 105-110 degrees, with no closer than 6-8" from the bulb. Keep us posted! Good luck!

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
I think the rule of thumb is to wait at least 45 minutes for an accurate temperature from lighting. Wow, I just re-read you post and realized you have an extremely tall enclosure. Just keep playing around until the temps are right. I believe I heard 6-8" from the lights. Anyone -- is this right or too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom