How many is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Since reptiles don't necessarily need tons of attention like our furry pets do, it's easy to keep a lot of them. Right now I have a bearded dragon and two leopard geckos, in addition to my dog, rabbit, hermit crabs, and clawed frog... I still want a blue tongue skink and possibly a crested gecko, but otherwise I think I'm done with getting new pets LOL.

Assuming they all are taken proper care of, how many reptiles do you think is "too many"? I've seen plenty of people with 20+ reptiles, and I know there are people on this forum with quite a few beardies. :wink: Personally I don't think I'd be able to/want to take care of more than 4 or 5 lizards, but it would be awesome to have so many of them.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
I have two turtles and just added a new beardie to the family so I now have two dragons and four reptiles in all. So far I'm having no trouble giving each one the attention they need! The only problem comes when I have to replace basking and UVB bulbs more often :roll:

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
When it feels like work to care for your animals, instead of fun, like a hobby should be, that's when you know you have too many.

For some people, that number is anything more than one. For some, it's 60+. It really depends on your amount of free time and personal abilities, as well as what type of animals you are keeping. Caring for 1 crested gecko is about as difficult as caring for 5, so keeping several of them is common. Caring for 15 ball pythons is easier than caring for 15 bearded dragons. Omnivorous animals, or even strictly vegetarian animals, can be harder to care for due to dietary needs.

For example, some staff members keep only a handful of animals, while many of us keep dozens (but then, we do have a leg up... grabbing feeders is as easy as bringing them home from work!). I feel that my 4 blue tongue skinks are the most of those I want to keep; however, I also think it'd be no problem to add a few more snakes to the collection of 20 I already have - I spend a third of the time maintaining the snakes as I do my skinks. One staff member breeds bearded dragons, and maintains a small colony, along with only a couple snake species, while another prefers to only keep a couple of beardies but has dozens of other, smaller species of geckos and lizards. Each person has different preferences and talents, and their collection reflects that.

So when adding animals, just keep in the back of your mind that as long as it's fun, keep doing it. If it ever stops being fun, or you don't feel like you can spend as much time with your animals as you'd like, it's time to cut down on the number you keep. :)

-Jen

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Two dragon is one two many for me and I really want to get back down to one, tending to them both is stressful for me.
I also have a snake but at one time I had 8, that was about 5 too many, 3 is a good number. In total, I have 2 dragons, 1 snake and one salamander. I would be happier if I could rehome one dragon and the salamander. I do have three dogs though and their care really adds up, without them I would probably be ok with more reptiles.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I have three. One Beardie, one corn snake and one ball python. If feeders weren't so expensive, I would be less stressed out about the snakes, but the only local pet store that carries decent frozen rodents charges $12 for medium rats. :banghead: Poor Atlas, who is the best ball python the world has ever seen when it comes to pounding frozen thawed rats is deprived of the biweekly joy of eating and only gets one rat every 10 days instead of every 5. He is still growing, so the intervals between meals are a little long, but he will just have to grow slowly until I live somewhere with reasonable prices.

I think three is a good number. In a better financial situation, I might take on another beardie, but that would be about it.

jjh1

Juvie Member
I have 1 dog 4 beardie 2 crested geckos 2 Leopard geckos 1 hamster 1 hedgehog fish thats it for me

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
We have 4 beardies and we just love and enjoy them so much. My husband also has a gray Maine Coon cat that he adores.
Amanda

Cowabunga

Hatchling Member
In less than a months time I went from 1 beardie to probably 15.. I can't say its much more of a hassle than before and I not only enjoy it but are looking for more. I've slowed down on do breeding (I show Boxer dogs and breed them *or use to breed, now I just show*) and having more dogs is much more timely since they require more consistent care.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
AtlasStrike":290fj5wn said:
I have three. One Beardie, one corn snake and one ball python. If feeders weren't so expensive, I would be less stressed out about the snakes, but the only local pet store that carries decent frozen rodents charges $12 for medium rats. :banghead: Poor Atlas, who is the best ball python the world has ever seen when it comes to pounding frozen thawed rats is deprived of the biweekly joy of eating and only gets one rat every 10 days instead of every 5. He is still growing, so the intervals between meals are a little long, but he will just have to grow slowly until I live somewhere with reasonable prices.

I think three is a good number. In a better financial situation, I might take on another beardie, but that would be about it.

not to hijack the subject but can't you buy live rats for MUCH cheaper that 12$? Just freeze em yourself if that's your method? Also while it would be more of a pain you could just get a couple and let them have babies to make it cheaper.

dangit12

Juvie Member
my sisiter had 3 snakes now two snakes. but altogether for reptiles we have 3

2 snakes

and one beardy

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
@Randy Marsh: I KNOW!!! I just really like rats and don't think I'd have the heart to do the whole bang and freeze thing. If I had a C02 chamber, it would be different, but then in that world, I would be breeding my own feeders anyway.

I need to just find some one to do a bulk order with me, or move, which will happen in June.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
@Jen: Great answer! I wouldn't want another beardie, but I think I could be classified as a hoarder in the near future because of these geckos... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom