How many crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimias

I have a baby bearded between 4 and 6 months and today was his first time eating since I brought him home (I've had him for about a week now). So far he's dined on 3 crickets, some lettuce and a few pieces of carrot. I'm just wondering, since you feed baby beardies daily, how many crickets I should be expecting him to devour on a daily basis? (fyi He's about 4 1/2 inches long from head to tail).

Livey

Extreme Poster
erm shes 4-6 months long as 4 and a half inches??
really? thats veryyyy small.
i have a 2 month old at 6 inch and 6 month at 12 inch??
anyway onto the crickets mine can go through LOTS and LOTS i feed mine twice in day , and how ever much they can eat in 10 mins..
which usually is alot around 20-30 a feeding.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Congratulations on the new beardie! You want to feed your beardie as many has he/she can eat in about a 10 minute period 2 to 3 times a day. Dusting one feeding per day with calcium 5 days per week and one feeding per day 2 days a week with a multivitamin. Also I noticed you mentioned some of the veggies your new beardie has eaten. When you say lettuce I'm hoping you meant like romaine and not iceberg as it's not good for beardies and should never be fed to them. Here's a great nutritional chart to some beardie foods that is color coded to if and how often items can be fed. :wink:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi there ! First off... Congrates on your baby !
Now... let's start out with the correct foods...
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Daily staples are in Green... Treats 1-2 times a week are in Black.

Now... you should be feeding this lil fellow 3 times a day with the crickets, enough over a 10-15 minute time period to let him eat his fill. Start his day off with a salad, the follow up with the insects...
The size of the feeders should be no longer than the distance between his eyes, to avoid blocking up his intestinal track.
Just out of curiosity... 4-6 months... or 4-6 weeks ? Do you have a hatch date ? Or was this a pet store baby ?
Regardless, he is young enough to grow considerably.
Make sure that the "meals" are far apart enough to allow an hour to two hours basking time, so he can properly digest the insects.

Now, could you do me a favor, and list which lights you are using, heat/uvb... as well as any supplements, cal/vitamins by brand name, and what is in his enclosure for substrate, basking site, and hide if any...
Thanks !
Janie

Livey

Extreme Poster
haha i just looked now and thought jheez alot of people have posted on this since i last looked...about a min ago LOL

Grimias

Original Poster
I'm not even entirely sure about the hatch date, I didn't even buy him off a store. I just noticed an add on kijiji haha. I have a 75w zoomed basking lamp in addition to a 10.0 reptiglo UVB bulb. I've only been feeding him one cricket at a time and dusting them all just to ease his way into this, so do you suggest I just drop them in there in bulk?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
That uvb might cause some issues... where are you located, dear... I have links for the best tube uvbs... world wide and area specific ;)
Janie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Personally I'd only drop in a few at a time. It's always easier to add more not so easy to remove or put back the ones they don't want. :wink: Plus with crickets it's usually best to fed them to your beardie in a separate container as the ones that survive and are not found and removed can actually bite on your beardie leaving scars.

Also you may want to use the google tool at the top right of the page and google Reptiglo just to read some of the past discussions as it's not a recommended bulb for beardies. Doesn't put out the right light or levels of UVB for basking reptiles. The most recommended tube type UVB is the Reptisun 10.0. :wink: or the Arcadia.

Grimias

Original Poster
I'm in toronto Janie so if you have a connect around these ways it would be greatly appreciated.
Also when I first purchased Malice I picked up quite a few superworms not knowing that he wouldn't be ready for them. Since then they've kinda just been chilling in this Tupperware container of mine. Any suggestions on when Malice might be ready for that endeavor or what I should toss in to keep them alive for the time being?

Grimias

Original Poster
Definitely, I'm gonna have to hit that up ASAP cause I'm trying to make sure this little bugger get's what he needs. And I've looked at some pictures of different age groups on beardies and I've concluded that Malice is in fact 4-6 weeks as opposed to months hahaha. Regarding his age how much should I expect him to eat because all he's really been munching on is crickets (yesterday 3, today 2) and salad. Besides those 2-3 there isn't really much he's going for, I've left him in his terrarium with next crickets but he doesn't seem to be very concerned with them. On a good note though, he is looking thicker than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom