How many crickets....really???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pm0084

I am very confused as a new beardie owner with regards to feedings. I hear about how these guys eat alot...like 20-30 crickets or more, but here is my issue.
I bought my beardie on Dec. 12th 2009 he was about 4.75" long or so when I bought him from the pet store.
It took about a week for him to start to eat and he is now about 5.75"
The thing that I can not understand is that he only eats about 3-5 crickets all day and a little bit of his greens.
He poops regularly everyday, and basks on his rock fine...(no hideing)
Here is some background info
75G tank (sectioned in half)
110 basking 75 cool side (greens are on the cool side)
I have a megaray (I know about the recall)
I feed him cricket, and phoenix worms (he may eat 1-2 worms)

I do not know if I should be worried or not???????????? I can not replicate the feeding frenzies I have read about here :banghead:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I have several babies in the house and they eat about 30 to 50 crickets per feeding 3 or more times a day. However some beardies are slow at getting started....be patient...and consistant in your offerings...hope that you get to experience the frenzy soon. :)

pm0084

Original Poster
They are the smalls from petco. They are the size between his eyes....looking down from the top of his head.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Okay, that's what you want. Any bigger than the space between his eyes and they can cause impaction.

Metalz

My frill was doing the samething under a mega Ray . I'm not a pro but it sounds like the same thing min was doing when I frist started using that bulb

pm0084

Original Poster
When I bought my little guy I already had his tank setup done, and I had a megaray (the recalled ones) I wonder if the improper UVB lowered his hunger drive. The good news is that my new megaray and my reptaid ship today. He did eat 6 Phoenix worms this morning though.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I personally would see how your beardie does under the new bulb before using the Reptaid. You may not need it. :wink: Don't get me wrong I have a bottle in my frig an I use it when needed. You may find out though that your light was the entire reason for the lack of appetite not anything else. :)

pm0084

Original Poster
I got the new megaray today, and the reptaid. I gave him 1 drop of reptaid, and plugged my new megaray in...so far eyes are open and everything seems OK. I will update if I see and changes good or bad.

shellymartin

I'm Izzy's mom, and I've had ALOT of trouble getting him to eat his greens every since he had his brumation last winter. What is Reptaid? will it increase his appetite? Actually some days he won't eat :( he won't eat any kinds of greens at all anymore. I change his UV light every 6 months, I give him vitamins and calcium. I don't know! Oh, he'll be 2 years old in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom