How long should it take to get the viv up to temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stycim

How long should it take to get the viv up to proper temps?

I have a 29Gallon tank (30x12x18).
18" ReptiSun 10.0
Dome light with 50watt halogen flood light.
I'm using digital probe thermometers.

It's been 2 hours since the lights came on. The cool side is only up to 73 and the basking spot is at 100. I've put cardboard across the screen to help hold in heat. I have a baby beardie arriving today. Last night when I was testing the lights I left it alone for a few hours and the cool side was at 79 and the basking spot was 106. The basking spot is aprox 3.5" from the screen.

Do you think I should try a higher watt light? I also have a 75watt bulb. I tested that one yesterday but it got the basking spot up to 115. Maybe I should try that one again but remove the cardboard and lower the basking spot a few inches?

Thanks

sidneysix

Hatchling Member
it doesnt matter too much about how long it takes really as long as its only within 2-3 hrs to hit the hottest temperature, the main thing is once its at tht temp on the basking side to maintain it, so your beardie can bask wen he wants during the 12-14hrs you have your lights on for. look at it from what its like in the wild the hottest time would be midday/early afternoon.

EShell

Hatchling Member
Mine takes a little while to warm up too, but it does get right where it needs to be within a couple hours, just like outdoors.

A ceramic heat element could be put on a timer to speed the process. I had this setup for a while but decided it wasn't needed. I brought the CHE on about 30 minutes before the lights came on, then turned it off an hour after the lights were on. This pre-heat did help in the larger, more open 75 gallon tank, but in the relatively tight viv I'm using now, I don't need it.

Another possible solution is a timed heat mat under the enclosure, under the basking structure, as long as the BD cannot lie directly over the mat itself and be burned. The mat can be left turned on if it doesn't cause too much heat after the lights stabilize the basking temps, or, it can be brought on an hour or so before the lights come on, then turned off after the lights are providing enough heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom