How long does it take for spikes to grow back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzambran

Alejandro suffered a bacterial skin infection back in March. He got it from playing outside and is now no longer allowed to touch the ground lol, he always has to sit on a towel when we go outside to get some sun. Anyways, the bacterial skin infection caused a lot of skin sloughing. He also had to have a biopsy for diagnostics because at first the vet and I were worried it was yellow fungus and had to see what was causing the lesions before treating. Due to the sloughing/ skin being taken for the biopsy, many of the spikes on the bottom of his beard are now deformed and shorter. Some of them just look like the normal flat skin closer to his chin and others are rounder and shorter than the normal spikes. Its not THAT noticeable, but even after 4 whole months, he definitely still does not look like his old self. The affected area has shed cleanly/normally once since the end of his antibiotics. When he had the skin infection if did not shed well and just sloughed off in damp crusts/ lesions. I am wondering if the spikes will ever grow back. Has anyone's beardie had an infection/cut/surgical procedure that resulted in spikes being removed? Did they grow back? Approximately how long did it take? Any hints to promote better healing? I was thinking about putting Mederma or some similar scar ointment with vitamin E on the area to prevent scaring and promote healing. I am just glad his skin finally cleared up, but any info would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom