How long do beardies really live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Every website says the typical "8-10 years" but I hear of their lifespans ranging from 5-14 years. Has anyone had a few beardies or knows someone who had some that lived longer than 8-10 years? Just curious because mine is currently 4 (i think...) and I was hoping she'd live long enough to see my first child :) Or at least give us a few more years of laughs and love.

I suppose I should list her habits and viv specifications to help with a general estimate...

She's currently a free-range lizard in my studio apartment since I don't want to bring in her big tank which would have to sit out in the open, and I'm not allowed to have pets in this apartment...so it's strictly to avoid having to get rid of her. We're saving up for a house that allows pets so I'll have her back in her tank then. Where she spends her days are behind the couch where I've set up a basking light and occasionally lean the UV light over her. Occasionally because she shares it with my baby and I take her outside a lot during the week for 30-45 minutes of real sunlight (we live in the desert!) in our backyard. Once the baby stops being spazzy and grows up a little more, I'll take him outside for sun soaks too.

She eats crickets, superworms, and phoenix worms when I can order them. Her greens consist of collard greens and bok choy, bananas about once or twice every 2 weeks, and some apple 1-2 times a week (because I only give her apple when I'm eating one myself...she's greedy!).

I bathe her once a week, and she deficates once every 2 days, I think. Which is a big improvement from once every 2-3 weeks which was happening up until about a month ago. Not sure why, maybe she just likes the elevation and temperature more up here than Wisconsin. She gets a lot of exercise that she wasn't able to get when stuck inside her tank. She can roam whenever and wherever she wants when we're out for the day so maybe that helped to get her bowels back to normal. And before anyone gets worried...I've never lost her because there's nowhere to hide in our tiny apartment. Always have to open the front door slowly though, one day she thought it'd be fun to be a doorstop. :p

Anyways that was more than I meant to type...so yeah! How long have your beardies lived -- or, how old are they now? Damien turns 5 I think in March 2014. I did hear about the beardie named Guiness that lived to 14 years old from drinking a spoonful of Guiness once a day. :p

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We've had a few show up on this site with beardies in the 15 year range. I think I recall someone saying their dragon just turned 17 or 18, but of course, there wasn't really any proof.

At the moment, my oldest, Naughtica, is about 9 years old.
Or 8...

Uh oh, I hope she doesn't read this. :oops:

-Brandon

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
claudiusx":cq21ewix said:
At the moment, my oldest, Naughtica, is about 9 years old.
Or 8...

Uh oh, I hope she doesn't read this. :oops:

-Brandon

Bad Daddy! ShameShameShame! She's gunna be mad at you! :lol:

My Iccarus lived to be 7 years, he died on New Years Day 2012. We've had our current dragon for 2 years now.

Hopefully he'll be around for quite some time, as my daughter loves him to bits,

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey, 8 or 9 isn't bad! How healthy is she? Is she starting to show signs of old age? I think Damien has slowed down a lot, but she wasn't really that active to begin with. She falls asleep while standing a lot and if I wrap her up in a burrito she almost never leaves it.

I've heard of them living as long as 14 or more, and as short as a few months. It really depends on the dragons health throughout its life and its care I think. :) Our oldest is currently 9 and shows no signs of giving up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom