How long after dinner for lights out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
My Vic doesn't get below 68 degrees at night. Temps are perfect in the daytime hours. I feed Spike dinner late because I don't get home until 8 or 9pm from work. I usually do lights out at 10pm. Is the temp good enough for proper digestion? Is the timeframe before lights out okay with a late dinner?

I usually leave mine on about an hour and a half or so. My beardie will bask after eating and then usually goes to the dark side of his cage. Then I turn them out. He stays under the light about and hour or so.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok cool. I figured it was enough time. This is the first reptile I have owners that didn't require a heat pad so it's odd to me to have no heat at night. I have a CHE for the winter. Thanks again.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok cool. I figured it was enough time. This is the first reptile I have owners that didn't require a heat pad so it's odd to me to have no heat at night. I have a CHE for the winter. Thanks again.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This morning he was slow to eat and the crickets got away from him. But once he it them he went to the cool side at 70 degrees versus the warm side. Lights are on all day so I'm not worried.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
Another question about feeding time.
Is it OK to feed early in the AM when it's still cool in the enclosure as long as it's warming up?

Thanks.

Elmontare

Hatchling Member
Wolfeden":2f22qg2l said:
Another question about feeding time.
Is it OK to feed early in the AM when it's still cool in the enclosure as long as it's warming up?

Thanks.

You mean put food in before the lights come on or just as soon as they come on? Depending on the size of the enclosure it shouldnt take long to heat up. I have found though my dragon wont eat until about 2 hours after waking up (perhaps when it IS warm in the enclosure).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I set the timers to come on about half an hour before I wake up. That provides some heat and wakeup time before morning routine.

Wolfeden

Hatchling Member
I think he's fed about a half to one hour after the lights come on.

I'm not sure because I'm not awake at that time, work a second job at night. So my wife does the feeding and I thought it might be better to wait until afternoon when things are warmer.

But I guess at least the basking spot warms quickly and that would allow the dragon to warm up quickly as well.

Crewdog00

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I put the lights on 15-25 minutes before breakfast. I have to go to work in the morning so I only feed non aggressive feeders in the morning. Crickets are fed when I come back from work. This way when I am on my way to work I don't have to worry about Spike. I know once he is warm enough he will eat, and sure enough all the breakfast is eaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom