How hot is too hot and exercise (walking on a leash)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I been having some 85-95 degree days where I live and I wanted to bring my beardies out for exercise but I thought perhaps them walking is ok BUT could the sidewalks or pavement be super hot??

Like obviously I won't let them walk on tar since it absorbs heat just a normal sidewalk may be better but I worry it'll be hot and burn them.

I would do it safely and buy a leash and slowly introduce the outside to them that's not only my backyard.

Right now I have them outside with me basking in the sun and running around which I'm doing gradually since they have been inside all winter

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Touch the back of your hand to it, or your bare feet. If it's uncomfortable to you it is to hot for them.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Agree with that (despite "uncomfortable" is relative - If I touch their basking area it is "okay-ish" but rather too hot for me - better play on the safe side). They feel heat a lot better with their back than with their belly, so I wold be cautious here.
Would there be a (reasonable clean) grass area, or a bench or table? Might also be more entertaining for your dragon.
Mine is in the summer - of course, only supervised and on a leash - with me on the balcony, and the dragon sits either on my shoulder or belly or on a wooden table. (I always use the harness and leash, as we are on the 13th floor and there are sometimes vultures circling which might spook him. I want to prevent him running and jumping off the balcony.)
As you will newly introduce the harness and leash, I think: If that's the case, try it first indoors for a while to get your dragon used to wearing it. I like the "nectarlee" harness, and I secure the straps in X-shape.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Agree with that (despite "uncomfortable" is relative - If I touch their basking area it is "okay-ish" but rather too hot for me - better play on the safe side). They feel heat a lot better with their back than with their belly, so I wold be cautious here.
Would there be a (reasonable clean) grass area, or a bench or table? Might also be more entertaining for your dragon.
Mine is in the summer - of course, only supervised and on a leash - with me on the balcony, and the dragon sits either on my shoulder or belly or on a wooden table. (I always use the harness and leash, as we are on the 13th floor and there are sometimes vultures circling which might spook him. I want to prevent him running and jumping off the balcony.)
As you will newly introduce the harness and leash, I think: If that's the case, try it first indoors for a while to get your dragon used to wearing it. I like the "nectarlee" harness, and I secure the straps in X-shape.
Dang won't catch me on a balcony on the 13th floor 😅 in my yard they roam under constant supervision and only certain parts as well.

My Amber will roam without fear Chubbs not so much she is more than likely on my shoulder lap chest head (I wear a hat) foot legs or under me for protection then I bring her in since she's spooky sometimes.

I haven't introduced a harness yet for either of my girls but that's because I have a big yard if I take them with me outside the car they will have a leash on for sure

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Dang won't catch me on a balcony on the 13th floor 😅 in my yard they roam under constant supervision and only certain parts as well.

My Amber will roam without fear Chubbs not so much she is more than likely on my shoulder lap chest head (I wear a hat) foot legs or under me for protection then I bring her in since she's spooky sometimes.

I haven't introduced a harness yet for either of my girls but that's because I have a big yard if I take them with me outside the car they will have a leash on for sure
Yard is of course easier. I might also had not bought a leash if just in the yard.

The 13th floor balcony was indeed a bit scary first (I'm not really a city person, more used to yards and gardens, countryside person), but I made a nice succulent garden out of it and now enjoy reading there and doing crafts. My dragon also likes it, either watching me from indoors or being out there with me. And he has a window at the back of his tank, he can look all 13 floors down to a small park and the desert and the ocean and he loves it.

Last edited:

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yard is of course easier. I might also had not bought a leash if just in the yard.

The 13th floor balcony was indeed a bit scary first (I'm not really a city person, more used to yards and gardens, countryside person), but I made a nice succulent garden out of it and now enjoy reading there and doing crafts. My dragon also likes it, either watching me from indoors or being out there with me. And he has a window at the back of his tank, he can look all 13 floors down to a small park and the desert and the ocean and he loves it.
That's crazy I always wanted to try and place my beardie towards the window but it's tricky I only have one window in my room (side of the house). Would definitely aid in desensitizing her to being outside

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom