How fat is to fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
You can't really apply the same thinking from mammals to this. However typically speaking, in the (wild) animal kingdom having good fat stores is often a sign of good health... so I wouldn't expect a little bit of fluff on a dragon is really worth concerning yourself with.

As long as they can get around then no worries. Plus, they're not exactly the most mobile of creatures so I doubt joint troubles are really going to be an issue if they're a bit overweight either. Clearly there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but I doubt you'd be able to really get a super-chub dragon without either trying to force it to gain wait, or breaking your bank on feeders...

As per snakes in the OP, majority of snakes will naturally gain a lot of weight and then go on a fast for as long as a year for breeding purposes, or even just because they don't want to eat.

tempusfugit

Hatchling Member
Trogdorpheus":njftsmey said:
but I doubt you'd be able to really get a super-chub dragon without either trying to force it to gain wait, or breaking your bank on feeders...

Considering feeding "as much as your dragon will eat in 15 minutes" is the general recommendation around here, I would disagree with that statement. Also, internal organ damage would be my main concern, not joints.

As for not keeping animals on a schedule, free feeding dogs is the worst thing you can do from a health or training standpoint.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Yeah... when they're young and growing. Ask anyone if they feed their adult dragon as much as it will eat for 15 minutes. Lets try not to be asinine with our comments here...

As for the dogs... I'll quote myself
Trogdorpheus":k9f6oo6k said:
You can't really apply the same thinking from mammals to this.
so clearly I acknowledge that this is a different situation.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Oh I can't imagine if Rosie ate all she wanted in 15 minutes she would completely gorge herself. I give her a certain amount of worms or dubias and that is it. She eats it in about 30 seconds flat. Salad she has all day. I have to admitthough my babies always have a plate of worms which ahs started the habit of eating one or two every couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom