How Does a Beardie Shed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpius

I'm new to beardies and never saw one shed before, I've had other lizards and they basically peel like a banana but I can't imagine a dragon doing that with all those spikey bits.

Is there any website or post that shows a step by step typical shed from begining to end with a description or narration?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Dragons shed in bits over a course of a few days. There is no pattern or normal way to shed. They may shed different areas at different times. My guy sheds his body and tail first then about 2 weeks later he sheds his head and belly.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
when they shed the skin over the spikey bits you can see the spikes on the shed- its quite interesting. I couldn't find any vidoes on google to show, sorry

ChinelleKitten

Hatchling Member
Here's a pic of my Captain Jack when he was a baby and his body was shedding. His head and tail had shed a while before and his body was starting to come off in pieces.

CaptainJack-100122004.jpg

and here's a pic of Zod, you can see his back leg and most of his tail are way darker than his body. Just those pieces are getting ready to shed.
April2011018.jpg

it's really cool when they shed becasue it comes off in pieces with all the spikeyness in tack. lol i've kept a few chunks from my dragons. lol and they look rediculous trying to rub off the skin on their or logs when it's ready. The other night Zod was in the corner of his tank rubbing his chin on the carpet to get off the shedding skin

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
I also don't have a guide or step-by-step guide, but I have two pictures of interesting sheds on our dragons. Angie usually shed in bits and pieces, Flippie more or less explodes.
Angie:
SuperDragon.jpg

Flippie:
01012011297.jpg

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Flippie does have pretty shed! Yoshi's isn't colored like that, his is just white. LOL

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
It is quite interesting that Flippie's shed has such a lot of colour - he usually appears a dark brown/grey with a little orange around his face, but I've only ever seen that colour on his shed. Angie actually appears more orange and red, and her shed looks the same as her normal colour.

scorpius

Original Poster
Thank you for all your replies and sorry about the delay in getting back but I only have occasional use of the internet right now.

The info was quite helpful as my guy was going into shed and I wanted to make sure all is well, since my last post he is ready to do it again.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom