How do you feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I’m wondering what’s the best way to feed a dragon? Mine is about 4 months old and barely eats! When got her about a month ago she was eating fairly decently. Her lighting is good, temps are all good. I feed her in her 40gallon in the morning about 2 hours after the light goes on and then again about 2 before her light go off. I usually just give 6-8 crix in the morning and let them stay in there for the day hoping she will eat them through the day, and then in the evening depending on how many crix eats she usually only 3-4 out of the 6-8, I’ll give her a horn worms or some wax worms( I know they are fatty but I just want her to eat). Her pooping is once a week-iS that normal? And her last poop her urite was hard and crunchy(yes I checked, it’s a mom thing lol)is that normal? I am ordering some BSFL soon, hopefully that will get her to eat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 4 months I would offer 2 bug meals per day. Offer in small batches and just keep offering over about 10 min or until she loses interest. Then remove the leftovers. Leave a fresh salad for her every day and offer worm treats now and then by hand as a snack. You can leave a curved dish of the BSFL in the tank with her so she can pick at them during the day if she wants. They can climb if they get damp though.

AndreasFarm

Original Poster
Well this is the problem, I offer and she doesn't eat them, that's why I leave them in there for the day.(always take out the left overs at night) She doesn't have any interest, weather it's crickets, salad, or even wax worms (she ate 6 tonight). Can dragons they be retrained? reroutined?(lol I know thats not a word) The person I got her from had her on a weird 12 hr, 7-7 schedule, where during the day she had her lights off and they covered her tank to simulate night time, and the lights on and tank uncovered during the night time, so she got to stare out at a black room with little interaction and they only fed her 6 crickets a day, and maybe fruit. She couldn't get anywhere near close enough to her UV and probably wasn't warm enough either. He did say she had shed twice. She hides a lot and naps a lot during the day, I'm always moving her to the heat and UV(new one coming soon people said it was new but I'm not sure I believe them) because she feels so cold when I check on her. And she doesn't poop very often. I have fixed most of the issues, but I can't get her to eat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, they can settle into a new routine but it takes time. Try to be consistent with the new routine and be patient. It can take a while especially for older dragons but at 4 months old it shouldn't take more than a month or two (but it varies). Keep offering food and let her take what she wants (go easy on the fatty wax worms).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom